CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE

Angeline's heavy breathing didn't go unnoticed as she sprinted up the steps to the second floor of their home. He was drunk again. Angry with her again.

She quickly shut the door to their bedroom and locked it, taking several steps away from the door. Angeline tried her best to rein in her frantic breathing, but every time she heard Nathan shouting her name downstairs, it frightened her more.

Angeline could hear Nathan smashing her beloved possessions that once belonged to her belated mother on the floor below. "Angeline!"

She whimpered at the sound of her name. He was coming for her now. He was going to subject her to more pain.

"Open the damn door!"

By now, Angeline was crying hysterically as he pounded on their bedroom door trying to get in. It was only a matter of time before he managed to force his way through and get his hands on her.

She quickly ran toward Nathan's bedside and rummaged through his night stand until she found his Glock. Angeline screamed as their bedroom door flew off its hinges and wheeled around to him, eyes filled with fear. With shaky hands Angeline leveled the pistol at her husband and took another step back until the small of her back hit Nathan's nightstand. She was cornered with no place else to run.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, pointing my own gun at me?" he snarled.

"Nathan, please," Angeline pleaded.

Nathan took a step toward Angeline, causing her to place her finger on the trigger. "Go on, pull the trigger, sweetheart," he taunted as he took another step toward her. "I dare you."

"Please stop, Nathan." She pleaded to him once again. "Please don't make me hurt you."

Nathan didn't heed her pleas. Instead, he just smirked at her as he took another step toward her. Angeline shut her eyes and squeezed the trigger, but the gun did not fire off.

Angeline began to tremble as Nathan now stood before her. One of his large hands clasped around her throat, cutting off her air supply while the other pried the pistol out of her small hands.

"No!" she cried.

"Next time, take the safety off. It won't shoot otherwise, Angel." He shoved her hard against the bed, pressing his body into her.

"Get off me, Nathan!" Angeline screamed as she fought him off.

Nathan turned Angeline onto her stomach and grabbed a hold of her hair, pulling her head back, making her yelp as pain shot through her scalp. "You really are a stupid bitch, you know that?"

"I'm sorry!" she said, squeezing her eyes shut.