CHAPTER 2: Obsession (Taylor's Version)

SPOILER WARNING FOR THE JUJUTSU KAISEN PREQUEL (VOLUME 0)!!

---

"Toge, who do you think will win?" You whispered to your dear (yet quiet) pal, leaning in close to his face. Even before you asked, you knew the answer. One saw, you and the rest of the second years were participating in hand-to-hand combat training. Well... Yuta and Maki were participating. You, Panda, and Inumaki were getting ready to watch shit go down.

"Caviar!" Inumaki blurted in surprise, causing you to purse your lips and widen your eyes in equal astonishment. You leaned back to give the boy some space. He pulled his collar up to cover his flushed cheeks. He hated how nervous he felt when he was around you, and Panda would only tease him relentlessly about it. I can't help it, and he knows that!! Damn him!

"Eh? Was it... something I said?" You looked at Panda and tilted your head in confusion. The big animal was snickering out of control.

"No, (Nickname), you didn't do anything wrong," Panda laughed. Oh, how he enjoyed seeing Inumaki, usually the reserved member of the second-years, so flustered around you. (Nickname), you really are clueless, aren't you...

"In fact... you do a lot of things right!" He shot you a thumbs up, which you didn't understand, but you appreciated nonetheless. You expressed this gratitude with a confusing imitation of the gesture. Inumaki felt his frustration spike at how Panda was about to spill the beans regarding his feelings, and was about to end his career when your teacher arrived.

"Hey, hey, everyone. How's it goin'?" Gojo greeted you all, catching your attention. Unfortunately, he also captured Yuta's focus.

"Oh, um-"

Whap! Maki smacked Yuta across the face with her metal polearm. He fell to the ground from the impact and rubbed his sore cheek with disdain. Why me?!

"Pay attention!" Maki snapped at him in that authoritative tone of hers that made your heart flutter so much. If only she hadn't just hit your new classmate, you would have certainly swooned over her more.

"Yes, Ma'am." Yuta gloomily continued rubbing his cheek in pain. I ask again: why me?!

"Get ready, baldie!"

"Yes, Ma'am." So strict! He grabbed his own polearm that was near him on the ground, and raised himself up to a kneeling position. He maneuvered his weapon so that it was parallel to his waist and in front of him.

"You're gonna score a hit on me today, right?" Maki said. A shiver went down your spine. Maki looks so serious today!

"Yes, Ma'am!" As he allowed himself a brief moment to look out at his classmates who gathered to watch him inevitably get his ass beat, Yuta's eyes somehow managed to land on you, and he was reminded of a recent interaction he had with your teacher.

*flashback*

"It's nearly impossible to exorcise a curse as strong as Rika, but unraveling it is a different case. Analyze the millions of knots of cursed energy, and untie them one at a time. Only you, the cursed one, can do it." Gojo offhandedly explained as he led Yuta into a room displaying several swords and other weapons. His words might as well have been in a different language because poor Yuta was not catching onto what his teacher meant.

"How...?" Gojo crouched next to a sword-holder displaying a finely crafted katana. He removed it from the holder and handed it to the boy.

"Use this."

"A katana...!" Yuta gasped with stars in his eyes. Gojo nodded at his observation.

"A curse is most stable when possessing an item. Your connection to Rika came about through the ring. Think of it like a pipe that's already there. Invoke the curse of Rika, channel it into the katana, and control it. Then repeat that process, increase the energy, and master it. Do this, and a bright, free future awaits. For you and her." Gojo said, but Yuta was stressing himself out beyond belief.