Promise

"Can I sit with you guys?"

The girls' heads shot to the owner of the voice, their eyes widened in both shock and relief. It was now dinner time and during the day, none of the three teams saw the two slayers. They started to get worried when they didn't see them in the nurse's office when they tried to visit.

So one could imagine the amount of joy they have when they finally see the target of their worries, "Mirai?!"

"That's me!" The girl chuckled before taking a seat next to a fidgety Lotte. "How was your weekend? Mine was amazing because I have slept for two days straight! Haha." She happily grinned.

To say they were shocked would be an understatement, the young demon slayer acted as if nothing happened, she was exactly like the first time they met, loud and cheery. They started to wonder if she's at the denial stage of mourning the dead.

With a careful tone, Jasminka spoke first, "How are you, Mirai? Are you okay?"

Mirai looked down, "... yeah, I'm fine." her eyes started to sting before she furiously rubbed them with her hand. She wanted to unleash her tears and let everything out but she couldn't, not in front of them. Don't get her wrong, she saw them as friends but also, they were the people she wanted to protect, she can't afford to let them see her so weak and pathetic, not again.

Lotte placed a hand on the girl's shoulder with a worried expression on her face, "Are you sure?"

Taking in a shaky breath, Mirai's shoulders slouched, "I-I don't know. I was a total wreck when Akko told me about Chihiro's death, but now... I don't know... it might sound inhumane, but after seeing so many people die both good and bad... you kinda get... used to it, I guess?" She felt sick, how could she say that? Life is a precious thing and here she is, saying that she's fine seeing people dying. "I'm sorry, it's just-it's been a rough week... When working for the Corp, you need to learn that no matter how many deaths you have seen, you need to move on to see the next morning, you can't let the dead rule your life..."

There was so much pain in her eyes the others were at a loss of words, what can you say to someone who's so broken? So strong and fragile at the same time?

Every word she spoke had pierced through Amanda's heart, she clenched her fist in anger, not at the girl, but at herself. Because of her dumbassery, a girl who hasn't started to live her life died, it was all because of her.

Taking a deep breath, Amanda slammed her hand on the table and stared at Mirai with eyes full of determination, " I need to talk to Akko! Can you tell me where she is?!"

The blacked haired girl was a bit taken aback from her sudden outburst but she still gave an answer, "She was preparing to go on a patrol in the cit-"

"GOT IT! THANKS!" Without even letting her finish, Amanda bolted out of the cafeteria. 'Okay, destination set! To Akko's dorm!' She internally yelled and raced against time. If the brunette's not in her room, then that means she'll be on her way to the town.

Locking her room, Akko made her way to the school gate. Her sword securely strapped to her waist and her mask on her face, in her hand, she held the sword and mask of her fallen friend, tied together by Chihiro's own robe and blond hair.

Lifting her arm, she let her crow land, tying the makeshift bag to its leg, she spoke, "I want you to send this back to Chihiro's parents, make sure they understand that her death was not in vain."

The crow nodded, "Should I also report this to lord Ubuyashiki?"

"Please do, and ask him to send back up. I'm pretty sure that man is here, we've already encountered 3 of the twelve moons. We might need the other hashiras for this... " With a new mission on hand, the crow quickly leaped off his owner's arm and flew.

She let out a sigh and ran a hand through her hair. ' I should've killed that bastard when I had the chance...'

"AKKO! WAIT!"

Turning around, she was met with the form of a panting Amanda, who had her hands on her knees as she struggled to take a normal breath. "I-I need to talk... to you..." she barely wheezed out.

"Can't this wait, it's almost time for your curfew and I need to go on my patrol." When she turned around to leave, Amanda yelled out, "Please! It's important!" Her voice was pleading soo it was hard to just leave, and she knew how stubborn the girl can be so she had no other choice but to spare her a moment, "Okay, but make it quick."

Taking a deep breath, Amanda bowed, "Please, teach me! I want to protect the people I care about but the way I am right now is impossible... I'm too weak to do anything." She clenched her fist and shut her eyes tight, "... I'm weak and a coward... I wanted to help out but I was too scared to do anything! And because of that, Chihiro... s-she died... I don't want to lose any more friends, I don't want to see the people I care about die so cruelly. Please, Akko, teach me, train me so I could at least take one of does fuckers down with me."

There was a few seconds of silence before the brunette sighed, "I'm sorry Amanda, but I cannot do that. You're a student at Luna Nova, a witch, if one of them manages to turn you into a demon, it would be almost impossible to take you down with all of the spells and flying you can do. Even if you become a demon slayer, no matter how strong or selfless you become, you will see your comrades die." She turned her back on her, "And besides, you won't be able to take both training and school lessons at the same time, you'll work yourself to death."

"Then I'll quit the school! Then I'll have more than enough time to-"

"You do realize if you quit the school, you'll have to leave, right?" Akko let out yet another sigh, "I've wasted enough time as it is, you're staying at Luna Nova under the Corp's protection and that's final. Now go to your dorm, I have to go."

Amanda silently watched Akko leave as her legs felt weaker, this was the first time she had ever heard her raise her voice, but that wasn't the problem. Her shoulders started to shake as all her frustration and anger were about to burst. "I swear, I will make you teach me. I will become a demon slayer!" her eyes lit in determination.

'I, Amanda O'Neil promise you, Chihiro, the life you saved will not become a deadweight.'