Breathe - part 2 (B.B)

Part 2 of 2 - word count 700

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Icy coldness

Bone chilling

Electrifying every nerve, as they screamed against thier natural enemy.

"I'm sorry!" A young girl begged, a couple years older than before "I'll have better control next time! Ple-"

Her pleading was cut short as she was dunked into the ice filled bathtub once again.

Her head being held under the surface while arms covered  in khaki green and black gloved hands pinned her arms and legs to stop her kicking and thrashing around in the small tub as the water overflowed the stained and chipped porcelain edge.

Every nerve in her body screamed in pain. The cells desperately trying to ignite and protect themselves but the ice freezing them before they could even spark.

Fire never mixed well with ice.

۵ ۵ ۵ ۵

YN's screams filled the medical unit as she was gently lowered into the ice pool. She had been slightly sedated in an attempt to calm her.

Wires and monitors attached to her as the medical team continued to try and bring her temperature down and study her vitals. They had stopped the igniting but her temperature was still extremely high.

The icy water brought old memories to the surface of a not so happy childhood. Her vision was clouded with the feelings and thoughts of that little girl.

To tiny for the power she contained and to young to be trained as a weapon. Years and years spend trying to break and bend her to their will.

The heart rate monitor blared as they desperately tried to calm her. The ice bath was the quickest way to bring her temperature down. From her records they should have known it was a terrible idea.

Bruce had always allowed the room controls to bring her temperature down if needed, under no circumstances unless life threatening to others was the ice bath to be used. It was a safety measure if the worse was to happen.

"Mr Barnes" a medic called "you shouldn't be in here"

They tried to usher him out of the door, he just burst through. He shoved them gently with his shoulder and hurried over to YN

"Hey, hey" he said calming, crouching beside the pool of icy water "Doll, listen to me. It's alright. You are safe"

He was cautious to touch her but very slowly and gently touched her hair. She jumped slightly before turning to face him.

Terror and fear filled her teary eyes. They were slowly fading back to thier natural beauty.

"It's ok" he said as he slowly cupped her cheek. "Breathe with me"

After some time her heart rate slowed, her vitals slowly began returning to normal as she stared into his ocean blue eyes.

As soon as her temperature was out of dangerously high, he helped her stand up and wrapped her in a soft towel, holding her close as she shivered and sobbed.

۵ ۵ ۵ ۵

She rested her head on his chest as they lay on the bed in the medical bay. She was attached to a drip, to help combat any dehydration and some painkillers for the amount her body had been through.

"Thank you, Bucky" she said softly, curled into his side as he played with her hair. His leg hanging over the edge of the bed as his body perched half off the edge, making sure YN had most of the bed.

"I don't know what's happening to me" she whispered.

"It's ok, doll" he soothed as he kissed her forehead. Her temperature back to normal. "We will figure this out"

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

That's how the team found them a few hours later. FRIDAY had informed Tony of everything on their way back to the compound.

Steve and Natasha smiled softly as they looked at thier best friends.

Cuddled into each other. YN curled under a soft weighted blanket as she slept with her head and hand on Bucky's chest.

Bucky's left arm was wrapped around her waist above the blanket as his right bandaged arm, wrapped around her upper back. His face buried in her hair as his leg still hung off the bed.

Sam smirked "eyy" he nudged Steve "you think Bucky will finally get the girl?" He teased. Everyone knew they had feeling for each other.

"Should we wake them?" He continued to smirk, ready to tease Bucky about his soft side that showed towards YN.

"Don't even think about it" Natasha warned, before quietly ushering the boys out.

The girl who could produce flames seeking safety and comfort from the man dubbed the Winter Soldier.

Maybe Fire and Ice could mix after all.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°