Leap of Faith (S.W)

Word count - 1k

Warning- Tiny language moment.

Brief background

AU

YN, Steve and Bucky have been sent on the mission to gather and destroy information, in an abandoned city. The city has been derelict for years but recent sources have led them to believe there maybe a lab with unwanted research inside.

YN's powers are natural but she is not invincible to flames.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

YN ran onto the skyscraper's roof, having hurried out of the fire escape. The two super soldiers, running ahead of her, already calculating an escape route.

"Nat, how far away are you?" Steve said, holding his ear as he spoke over his comms. She was meant to be there already.

The plan was to gather any data, destroy the lab and building before getting to hell out of there. Step one and two had gone smoothly, step three not so well.

There was a long pause with a few shouts and grunts in their ear pieces.

"Nat?" Steve questioned as he frantically scanned the sky.

YN hunched over, holding her stomach trying to catch her breath. Running up 50 floors was a killer, not to mention having to try and set a blaze to them as she went.

"Give me a moment, Rogers" Natasha sighed over the comms "had to do some multi-tasking" the smile was clear in her voice.

"Unexpected company, I'll be with you in 5" she stated, the cries of agents falling from the aircraft in the background could be heard through their ear pieces.

YN shook her head and held up a hand, desperately trying to not retch.

"The amount.....I.....the building is going....down" She struggled with her words, her lungs screaming for air.

Steve and Bucky looked as though they had just been for a walk in the park, compared to YN. Loveable bastards with their serum.

Bucky gently rubbed YN back in hopes it would provide some comfort.

"We have to get off the roof then" He stated as he glanced around.

"I think we can make it to the other building, it looks stable enough for us to land on" Steve said, stood at the edge, glancing between their building and the one next to it, judging the jump and gap.

Bucky walked over with YN to check it out.
"Quick plan, in cas-"

Before either could stop him, Steve took a few steps back and made a leap of faith.

Both watched wide eyed as he soared through the air, a red, white and blue bird for a moment before tumbling on to the other roof, just making the gap.

"Well, it's definitely stable enough!" Steve chuckled as he got to his feet.

"YN, come on" he said over the comms. "I'll catch you, you have to do a big run up and jump"

YN looked at Steve on the other roof, before mistakenly glancing down at the terrifying drop below, between the two building as she stood on the ledge.

"Shit" she muttered, her heart felt like it was in her throat as she slowly backed away. "Uh huh! No fucking way!"

"We don't have time, you need to jump" Bucky said softly, looking back at YN, seeing the fear in her eyes.

The roof was already starting to be engulfed in flames.

"Hop on" Bucky crouched slightly, offering a piggyback. He was planning to jump them both over.

YN shook her head "Buck, you go. Even I know that you won't make that jump with me" she said "I can stand the flames for a moment, you can't. You have to go first"

The conflict was clear in his eyes, he couldn't just leave her behind but she was right, Steve barely made the jump by himself and YN did have some resistance to fire.

"I will help Steve catch you" he said as he placed a hand on her shoulder, to which she gave a small nod.

"See you on the other side" she smiled trying to lighten the mood.

Bucky gave a small smile in return before stepping back and running full speed, flames at his ankles as he had to walk back on the roof slightly.

He flew through the air and just made it, gripping the other rooftop's ledge with his metal arm before Steve pulled him up.

This made YN even less confident about her chances, but she couldn't stay up here forever. Either the building would collapse or the flames would consume her before Natasha got there. This was her only way out.

She stepped backwards to the opposite side of the roof, using the whole of it was runway. The flames kissed her but caused no harm yet as she run full speed through them.

YN tried not to hesitate as she took the leap of faith, Steve and Bucky yelling encouragement, both their arms out stretched ready to catch her.

Her finger tips just missed Steve's before they watched her tumble down backwards, through the air, towards the ground.

Thier faces a picture of shock and horror as YN screamed. There was nothing they could do but helplessly watch.

Suddenly a blur of red and grey, with the silhouette of bird wings appeared under her, bundling her into his arms as he caught her mid-air.

YN's screaming stopped as she looked up at Sam who smiled down at her.

She closed her eyes a moment as she breathed a sigh of relief.

Sam had saved her.

Her eyes shot open as she felt him flying higher.

"Thank you" she said softly "but don't you dare drop me"

"You have insane fire power but you are scared of heights?!" Sam laughed as YN clung to him for dear life.

Her eyes shut tightly again as she buried her face into his shoulder, her arms round his neck and legs locked in a death grip around his waist, careful to avoid his wings and pack. She resembled a baby sloth, clinging to it's mother's underside.

"And I would never drop you" he said softer "I got you, baby"

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°