Chapter 3

The morning sun peaked out from the window shades as I awoke to my father shuffling in the living room. I buried my head in my pillow and hoped to get a few more hours of sleep. His continuous slamming of the front door finally is what pushed me to get out of bed. I padded down the cold stone floor to the front door. My father's wagon was pulled close to the house and he was loading wrapped boxes into the back of it. I turned and headed back into the house and grabbed another box that was laying on the table. I heaved it and walked to the door only to be greeted by my father's calloused hands. I handed him the box and he sets it in the back of the wagon and finally pulls the canvas over to cover the crates. He turns to me and smiles a worn and tired smile.

"How did you sleep?" He asks as he pushes me back into the house.

"I slept well, no thanks from you" I joke as I bump him with my shoulder. We both sit at the kitchen table as he dusts off his hands. "I didn't realize you were leaving so early," I say as I look over at his torn and worn shirt and denim pants.

"We need the money sooner rather than later," he says with a grimace as he pours himself a glass of water from the pitcher that is sitting on the table from last night's dinner.

"I will try to sell some herbs while you're gone," I say and I wring my hands on my nightgown. "I'll also get the garden ready for summer."

"You can do that when you want to sapphire, I am not really in that big of a rush," He says as he stares intently "especially since this shipment will make us twenty gold pieces." I feel my mouth drop open when he finishes his sentence.

"Twenty..." I choke out.

"Yes, twenty" He states as he stands up, "I better leave now, I wouldn't want to keep lord Sharluon waiting" I had heard that name before, but only in whispers from servants in town. I stand up and follow my father to the front door.

"Please promise me you will stay safe and not get yourself into trouble" He chuckles as turns to look at me. He picks up my chin in his hand and kisses my forehead.

"I promise, but you have to promise the same." I laugh as he latches his cloak around his shoulder and checks the reigns and buckles on the horse.

"I won't get into trouble, I promise. But expect me back by one moon cycle," he states grimly "I know this trip will be a long one, but you have dealt with me gone longer than this." He makes eye contact as he finishes.

"Yes, but mother was still alive when you were gone for that long," I remark as I look at him.

"You will be fine sapphire, and you know where the coin chest is if you need some money for anything," he replies as he lifts himself onto the elm horse-drawn wagon. He looks down at me from the high seat. I back up from the wagon and look at him as he smiles and lifts the reigns. He whips them and CoalFire starts to pull the wagon down the stone path in front of our house. I wave goodbye at my father as the wagon maneuvers past the trees and onto the stone road in front of our house. My father gives a yell and the wagon begins making its way down the road, and out of my sight.

Standing on the stone steps of the small cabin I call home I realize I will be alone for many suns, and I have to manage for myself. Birds sing in the treetops and a bunny rushes through the overgrown yard. I am alone in this wild and untamed forest.