stay with me

Five years.

It's been five years since Cliff Burton was taken away from us. From them. Their bassist, their mentor, their brother.

And it was five years ago when they found Jason Newsted. The energetic, bubbly and kind bassist from Battle Creek Michigan.

~~~~~

"Newsted on in fifteen minutes." the robotic voice in his earpiece echoes. Jason is pacing around his dressing room, he's never been this nervous before. His bandmates are counting on him to close the show with a performance of Cliff's ethereal arrangement: Anesthesia. He practiced for weeks making sure he got every note down and his pedal effects perfect.

Jason picks up his bass and begins to go over the piece once more when he hears a couple of soft knocks on the door.

"Come in." the bassist says still focused on his instrument.

"Hey." Jason's head immediately snaps up at the sound of James' husky voice. He notices an old case in the singer's hand and his bitter sweet smile.

"Oh hey James, what's up?" he says before resting his bass back down.

"I wanted to wish you luck before you went on, and give you this to use tonight. " He lays the case down onto the grey plastic table in the room. "I discussed it with the others and we thought it would be good considering the...event." James takes a deep breath and opens the locks along the worn case.

Jason feels a chill run down his spine and his mouth dry as he stares into its contents. Nestled in red plush is the black and gold Aria Pro ii bass. Cliff's bass. Untouched and unplayed since the tragic accident in 86'.

Jason's eyes dart back and forth between the bass and James, and he runs his hands through his red curls.

"James are you sure?" he asks, still in shock.

The blonde looks to the floor trying to piece together his words as he scratches the side of his beard. Finally, James turns to the bassist and grips the smaller man's shoulders looking him in the eye.

"Of course." He starts, a smile forming on his lips. "You've gained my respect through these past five years and you're one hell of a bassist. Cliff would be honored to have someone like you play his instrument." James' voice wavers just a little bit at the last sentence and Jason can see nothing but sincerity in his eyes.

"And good luck out there Jase." he adds before patting Jason roughly.

Jason's at a loss for words and mutters a weak 'thank you' to the singer as he walks out the dressing room. Their relationship has grown over time but to see that much respect from James surprises him yet warms his heart.

"Newsted on in ten minutes." comes the voice in his earpiece again, snapping him out of his daze.

Right, he's still got this solo to perform.

He looks down at the velvet case.

Using Cliff's bass.

After collecting himself, Jason gently picks up the bass and hooks his strap onto it. He notices all the little imperfections on the body and neck that come naturally with heavy playing, but what catches his eye is the initials 'CB' etched on the back of the headstock. As he tunes the instrument the room fills with the acoustic thumping of an unplugged bass and Jason swears he can feel Cliff's warm presence around him.

It's a fairly long walk from his room to the stage entrance and Jason can feel all eyes on him from the road crew to the instrument techs as he walks with the signature black and gold bass. As Jason approaches the entrance he can hear Lars's speech fade in from outside.