promises

"Two hearts that shouldn't talk to each other become close

In a town much like a prison cell

People speak our names on the street in hushed tones

Oh the stories they'd tell if anyone would listen

If anyone would listen..."

March 4th, 1990

Their pale legs are tangled in James's dark green flannel sheets. The smell of sweat and sex fills the warmly lit bedroom. Both men take a moment to calm their rapid breathing in an attempt to come down from their high.

"That was probably the best birthday gift I've ever received." Jason laughs, still basking in the post-sex glow. James props himself up on his arm and uses the other one to caress his lover's face, taking a moment to admire how the orange glow defines Jason's angelic features.

"That's not all, let me grab your real gift." He says before planting a short kiss on Jason's lips. James rolls out of the soft sheets and slips on his boxers that were abandoned on the floor. Rifling through one of the drawers below his closet, James pulls out a parcel that was messily wrapped in blue and white striped paper.

"Happy birthday Jase."

Jason carefully unwraps the paper to reveal a small leather box and unlocks the clasp on the side of it. Resting in the plush interior of the box are two matching black rings with small gold leaves decorating them. The brunette picks up one of the rings and notices the letter 'J' engraved on the inside of the band.

"James, these are beautiful." Jason says with a warm grin spreading on his face.

"I got these made for us, they're promise rings. I know this is childish but I wanted something to represent our love. Can I put it on for you?" James asks, hoping to god that Jason would say yes.

"Yes, of course!" Jason beams, his cheeks taking on a pink hue. Jason holds his hand out to James, who breathes a sigh of relief and takes one of black rings, slipping it onto his partner's ring finger. Then Jason does the same to James with the matching band and holds onto the singer's larger hand, rubbing his thumb along the smooth metal.

"I love you James." Jason says, pulling James into a tight hug.

"I love you too."

August 17th, 1997

The salty breeze hits his face and Jason is brought back from the distant memory. Tears start to glass over his eyes but the amount of people keeps him from breaking down and crying. Rage bubbles up inside of him and Jason asks himself:

'How did this happen to us?'

The guests begin to pour in from the beach: family, friends, close members of the stage crew and of course Kirk and Lars. They all take their seats on the silk chairs in the white and gold decorated venue. At the front of the tent is James standing, wearing a jet black suit and tie and dawning newly cut dark blonde hair.

James' eyes briefly meet with Jason's, who is sitting towards the back. Jason notices a look on the taller man's face that he just can't decipher. Is it guilt? Pain? Regret? But that's gone in an instant when the pastor stands next to James.

Soft violin music starts up and heads turn towards the end of the aisle where a beautiful woman with long blonde hair and blue eyes begins to walk down, the train of her dress flowing in the soft wind. She finally reaches the altar and smiles at James, who smiles back but his doesn't quite reach his eyes.

Clearing his throat the pastor begins speaking into the microphone, "Dear beloved, we are gathered here today to join Mr. James Alan Hetfield and Ms. Franchesca Tomasi in holy matrimony."

"But before we begin.."

Jason brings a hand up to his chest and feels the damned black ring that he kept on a necklace through his suit.

"Are there any objections?"