Chapter 1: Emon

Emon was crowded as usual for the time of day. There was maybe an hour or two before sunset. Jessica sighed, she was going to have to find someplace safe for the night. She was low on gold, low on supplies, mostly low on morale. Jessica took a deep breath, she was going to have to ask someone for directions, whether she liked it or not. She glanced around quickly, before finding a woman and her children walking side by side.

"Uh...mmm....excuse me Ma'am." Jessica tried to be dignified.

"Yes, what is it child?" The woman was firendly but brisk.

"I just...uh wanted to know..."

"The Laughing Lamia is just two blocks up." She gave a quick smile. "That's probably the safest bet for a cold night."

"Thank you." Jessica gave a bow of her head and raced off.

The Laughing Lamia was indeed crowded for it being nearly dusk. But most importantly, it was warm and Jessica could blend in. Jessica allowed a moment to breath and collect herself before making her way up to the bar keep.

"Ay Lass, are you old enough to even be here?" He glanced over at her side long.

Jessica huffed. "One room for the night." A second later, adding. "Please."

"Six gold." The Keep set the empty glass down. "Are you alright Lassie?"

Jessica gave a nod. "Yes, thank you. Just tired from the long travel." She counted her gold. The room would be half. Just six gold to make it the rest of the way to...wherever she was going off. She would not be in Emon long.

She settled in the back of the pub, and ate quickly. Once she was warm and fed did she started to take in the crowd. Most of the people were laughing, clinking drinks, just enjoying life. And Jessica envied it. She wanted nothing more than to have that life. To just be able to breath, to feel like she belonged. She shook her head and went back to watching the crowd.

"Come on Vax." There was a voice across the room. "You might have fun, come up to the third floor."

"As fun as that sounds Scanlan, I think I'll pass. I'll get us drinks." The man, Vax, disappeared in the crowd.

The accompanying party had made it to the table right in front of Jessica. The party consisted of, from what Jessica could tell: two gnomes, three half-elves, maybe elves, a Goliath, a dragon born, and a human.

"Its been six months. I'm ready to move into our keep." The red haired half-elf sprawled her arms across the table.

"As long as their's ale." The Goliath spoke up.

"There will be ale, Grog." The white haired human leaned an arm on the table.

"I dont think we'll be enjoying Greyskull Keep for long people." The black haired half-elf, Vax, interjected.

"Why not?" A half-elf that looked nearly identical to him looked him up and down.

"Allura is visiting tomorrow." Vax settled down at the table.

"Oh Allura! Really?!?" The dragon born straightened up.

"She," Vax sighed. "Usually doesn't drop in for a welcome visit."

"Maybe." His look a like leaned up. "She is bringing us a welcome gift."

"I like gifts." The red haired girl interjected.

Jessica ignored them, a slight shake of her head. She shouldn't be eavesdropping, it wasn't polite. Her Aunt and Uncle taught her better. Though, it was her Aunt and Uncle she was talking about.

"....And your hair is so lovely, so long and firey...."

"And clearly creeping her out Sclanlan."

Jessica jumped. She hadn't realized that someone was talking to her.

"I'm sorry." Jessica gave an apologetic smile. Thought the purple clad gnome looked slightly deflated.

"No need to apologize to him. Scanlan is often used to rejection." The black haired half-elf smiled. "I'm Vax'ildan Vessar, please call me Vax."

"Jessica." She gave a slight nod in return.

"Is that all I get to know?" He gave a slight smirk.

"Yes. For now." Jessica returned the smirk.

"Hey flirting is my job." Scanlan stood on a chair. He took Jessica's hand in both his, bent down and gave a kiss. "Scanlan Shorthalt at your service m'lady."

Jessica was visibly red in the face. "I..ummm...thanks..."

"You-"

"Leave her alone." Vax chided. "I am sorry for bothering you."

"But-"

"Come along Scanlan." Vax picked him up like a football and went back to their party.

Jessica slipped away as fast as she could.