i.

Chapter:01

Chapter:01

•| Arnika

They were everywhere, behind me, in front of me. Their sparkly shine was burning my eyes, crawling on my skin as if mocking me for the dark life I have. Chitter-chatter of my aunts, teasing of my cousins, the dark colour of henna was too much for me. So, I ran away.

From my own marriage.

I looked back balancing my bridal lehenga in one hand and my bag in other, checking if there was someone following. No one was, till now. I wasn't sure how much time it would take my family to digest the fact that their daughter ran off on her own wedding.

I ignored the look local people were giving me. And of course why not, you don't see a girl cladded in embroidery lehenga with heavy jewelery on road everyday. I don't know where I was going, but I only had one thought in my mind. To get away from here as soon as possible.

I wasn't supposed to leave my home like this, with fear of being caught or of being exposed. I never knew how my home transformed into jail day by day. I still remember how my father bought an anklet for me and I used to run around the house, making jingling sound causing my father to laugh at my antics.

A single tear escaped the confines of my eyes, I immediately wiped it off. I have to stay strong, there's no time for tears. Nervously, I turned my neck to witness anything behind me and my blood froze. I could form the shape of a body coming towards me. It was my brother.

Shit! Shit! Shit!

I curled my fingers around the fabric of my dress and ran off like a bullet train. In front of me was a bus, letting some people in. My heels were creating problems and my feet were aching but I gave it my least attention. Maybe it was adrenaline rush or my will to escape but I somehow got inside the vehicle and then heaved a sigh of relief when I saw my brother far away. It was do or die situation, I couldn't risk of getting caught and then married off to some guy who wanted a typical housewife.

"Ma'am ticket?" I was startled and immediately spun to see a man holding his hand out, expecting me for a piece of paper that I was unable to provide.

"I'm sorry, I don't have a ticket." I whispered, my voice coming out as pants. I was still suffering from the after effects of running.

"You have to pay the fine."

After paying the required amount, I sat on one window seat in the last of the bus. I had some money which would allow me to sustain some days. A light chuckle slipped from my mouth, oh darn that was fun. I was finally free from the cage!