iv.

Chapter: 04

Chapter: 04

[Eight Months Later]

|Arnika

As soon as the intoxicating smell of delicious dosa hit my nose, I knew for the fact that first, I couldn't focus on my work anymore and second, my brother was home. Rubbing my aching neck and eyes, I stood up, almost moaning out loud in relief when my sore hands and legs got the permission to relax. The sight outside my room that welcomed me, took my heart away and I'm sure I could feel wetness clinging on my eyes.

Bhai's backside was in my view and he was busy in preparing my favourite chutney. I had always known that my brother was very fond of me and could do anything to make me happy. But I never thought he'd do this. When we left Jaipur, I aced the interview in my dream company and was safely selected, trained and placed here. It was of course hard to settle down. He was hesitant in leaving me here all alone so he got himself transferred in the Mumbai branch of his company and was taking care of me.

Getting rid of those salty waters, I hugged him from behind, letting my head fall on his shoulder. He paused midway, turning and then hugging me with warmth. "What happened Nika?"

I shook my head, inhaling few puffs to calm myself down.

I'm not one to have a sudden break down but today, I was strangely feeling down. As if all the emotions I had embedded deep down in my heart was thrashing and finally came out. For some reason, I was missing him. Though it wasn't surprising for me cause it's has become a daily habit of mine to think about him, of the time we shared, of the feelings he had sparked in me. Even if our togetherness has been for few days but those days with him had affected me in ways I couldn't utter.

"Are you really okay Arnika?"

I pulled out, giving him a dazzling smile, "Hmm bhai just the thought of you throwing your life because of me makes me sad."

He sighed out and made me sit on the couch, "Listen Arnika, I'm not throwing my life. I'm doing what a brother should do-"

"So it's brother's responsibility to ignore his life and look out for his sister? Am I a burden for you?" I have been keeping this thought from a long time, trying to figure out on my own that why it was always him making sacrifices, why it wasn't me. From the look he was giving me I figured out that he was absolutely pissed. "Don't ever utter those words Arnika, I'm warning you. You can never be a burden for me, you are the most important person of my life." After calming himself down, he continued, "You know what a family means to a person. We haven't had best family and we were deprived of love for some time. In this cruel world, family gives us strength to move on, it showers us with love and respect no other can. And you Arnika, you kept me going. You loved me effortlessly. And you are also the one who pushes me to live." It wasn't only me choking from emotions, it was him also. But he just smiled and mumbled, "I'm happy and taking care of you makes me happy."