𝟬𝟬𝟴. dumbledore's task

eight,࿐ dumbledore's task

eight,
࿐ dumbledore's task

SEPTEMBER FADED INTO October, and Stevie returned to Auror training, as the weather grew cooler, and Death Eater activity seemed to slow. It made Marlene uneasy. They were planning something big.

They'd settled in together. Marlene was practically always at Stevie's flat, she had her own toothbrush and a drawer for her clothes there, and everything felt just right when they were together. They'd meet outside the Ministry to eat lunch together during work, and meet up with friends in the evenings, reserving nights and mornings for just the two of them to spend together.

Work, was tedious, as usual. Marlene was cataloging prophecies, when a familiar brunette ducked her head around the cubicle. "Hey!" Stevie smiled. "We're still on for dinner tonight? I've made us reservations at a muggle restaurant, and we can maybe watch a film after?"

"Yeah," Marlene smiled. "Yeah, I'll meet you back at the flat. What time do you get off?"

"Six!" Stevie replied, drumming her fingers on the desk and glancing around to make sure no one was paying attention before she quickly pecked Marlene on the lips. "Wear something nice."

"Are you saying I don't dress nice?" Marlene joked.

"No, you do," Stevie sighed. "I meant more formal, no jeans-"

"I was kidding love," Marlene chuckled, tucking a strand of dark hair behind Stevie's ear, the brunette flushing pink as she did so. "Now go, you're distracting me, and my superiors are going to notice."

"Sorry!" Stevie replied, sheepishly, sneaking her way out of the ministry and leaving a love-struck Marlene behind. She worshipped the very ground Stevie walked, and would walk through fire for her, and she knew Stevie would do the same for her.

They were each other's little bit of solace, in a time of strife, allowing for tender moments and a spark of hope, and love. Marlene was going to marry that woman, whenever things calmed down. She couldn't imagine spending the rest of her life without Stevie.

"Oi, Mckinnon! Someone is here to see you," Helen, who worked at the cubicle closest to the entrance, called out. Marlene stood up and walked over, only to be stopped in her tracks by the sight of Albus Dumbledore in the flesh, right before her eyes.

He smiled, the corners of his blue eyes crinkling. "Good afternoon Miss Mckinnon. Is there someone we can speak privately?"

Marlene nodded, showing Dumbledore into an empty storage closet, where she cast the silencing charm. "Sorry about the spot, there isn't much room down here."

"It's no problem," he nodded. "What do you know about clairvoyants?"

"They're very rare, and only really show up in bloodlines. They can often contact the dead, and reach into the realm of the unknown, the future, by using different objects, or even just their minds. They are different from seers, in that their ability can be controlled, and they have recollection of their work in their minds, thus omitting the use of physical prophecies such as the ones we store here," Marlene replied. "It's such a rare genetic gift that there have barely been any recorded cases in recent years."