𝟬𝟭𝟰. cordelia's secret

fourteen,࿐ dark days

fourteen,
࿐ dark days

STEVIE DIDN'T ARRIVE at Lily and James' house until dusk bled into inky twilight, covered in soot and ash, her eyes sleepy. Lily directed her to the shower as the rest of them perched upon various armchairs and couches in the living room. Cordelia descended down the stairs for a mere moment to take dinner, soup and bread, up to Sirius, who had been given a sleeping draught while Lily healed his injuries.

Mary and James, the only others present in the alley when the explosion happened, were pale faced, clutching their tea with paper-white knuckles. Marlene and Lily made their way around, making sure everyone was comfortable.

"Hey," she greeted Stevie, as she emerged from the stairs with soaking hair, dressed in one of James's old Quidditch jumpers that Lily had handed her to change into. "Hungry?"

"Starving," Stevie mumbled, as Marlene pushed a bowl of French onion soup towards her. Lily was arguably the best cook out of all of them, though Cordelia's stress baking came a close second. Everyone loved when she delivered small boxes of cookies or brownies to their desks at the Ministry during lunch. "Is Sirius okay?"

"I'm fine," he said, hobbling down the stairs being supported by Cordelia at that very moment. "Thought I'd eat down here with everyone."

"I need a drink," Marlene groaned, rubbing her temples. "Got any firewhiskey Lily?"

The redhead pointed, pulling out glasses for everyone who seemed to have perked up at the mention of alcohol. "None for me," Cordelia said softly, her lips pressed together in a line.

"Cordelia Valentine refusing a drink?" Marlene joked, passing Stevie and Lily glasses. "Either you're pregnant, or a someone is impersonating you..."

Cordelia glowered at that moment, and realization seemed to strike all of them. "Oh my god!" Lily squealed, sprinting around the kitchen table to grab Cordelia and squeeze her into a hug. "I'm going to be Auntie Lily!"

"I call dibs on godmum!" Marlene exclaimed, squeezing Cordelia in a bone-crushing hug and ruffling Sirius's hair. "Can I call you baby daddy now?"

"Shut up!" Sirius protested, swatting her hand away in annoyance. "I swear if you and Stevie ever have kids, I will tell them every embarrassing story about you from the time we were eleven and you tried to pet Minnie thinking it was just a normal cat while out of bed after curfew."

"We hadn't seen her animagus form yet!" Marlene defended, crossing her arms as everyone else crowded into the kitchen and chorused congratulations, James and Remus both attempted to pester Sirius into making them godfather.

"How far along are you?" Marlene whispered to Cordelia, who was watching the bickering between the Marauders, amused.

Cordelia tilted her head, smiling, as Stevie and Lily walked over upon seeing them in conversation, trying to get away from the bribery situation. "Eight weeks. I'm due end of October."