1

Unedited.

Maya didn't mind hard work but she had to admit that for her introverted personality first job as a waitress was a challenging experience.

Nevertheless, she was proud of herself. She had a first job at 15. Of course, it was just for a summer but mother was proud of her and after her first pay she felt so free and independent it was amazing.

She was aware that her having this job was nothing else but the courtesy of the restaurant owner and her mother's good friend - aunt Nina. They weren't related by blood but Nina was always there when she needed it, she was like a second mother to her this is why in recent days Maya was spending nights at her aunt's apartment.

"Maya come here please," Nina requested as Maya finished taking an order.

"What is it?"

"Your mom said you're not answering her calls I know you're angry sweetie but at least let her know you're okay"

"Why? She knows I'm with you" Maya muttered clearly unhappy.

Maya was more okay with aunt Nina than she ever was with mom.

"Please just can you do this? For me?"

"Alright, auntie" Maya sighed and did as she was told. Called her mother.

"Why aren't you picking up the phone Maya? I have been worried sick" Maya rolled her eyes "You know I'm with aunt Nina as always when this happens" she was referring to her mother's boyfriend actions. She didn't even want to mention his name in her head.

"Sweetie I'm so sorry, he is sorry too" Maya rolled her eyes. It wasn't even creative, always the same scenario is repeating itself.

"I don't care, mom"

"He has a road trip with friends... won't be home this week at all. Can you come back at least for now?" Patrizia asked hopefully.

"And when he's back then what? We will pretend nothing happened as always?" Maya asked, knowing very well how it plays out every time.

"I told you he's sorry. You know it's all alcohol he didn't mean to"

Always the same excuse. When mother's boyfriend gets drunk he becomes aggressive and to blow up some tension he hits
Maya or mother, depending on who's closer and who is chosen as a punching bag at the moment. This time it was Maya who got hurt and unlike her mother, she didn't feel so forgiving about his violent tendencies.

Mother was stupid. Maya loved her very much but she was so stupid and so blinded by her love towards him. Was it love or dependence? Maybe both. Nevertheless, it left Maya in an uncomfortable position - she loved mother but she hated her mother's partner. What now?

Nothing. She just spends time outside of her house whenever she can, seeks refugee in her aunt's apartment if things escalate too badly and hope that after she becomes 18 she can leave and make sure to never see this man again.

But until that happens...

"Of course you would say something like that" Maya says with anger in her voice as she hangs up on her.

________________________________

"So I guess it didn't go well," Nina said

"Not really but Jim is on a trip with his buddies so I can come back home for now," Maya says and Nina nods in agreement.

"I'm sorry things are like that sweetie," Nina says sadly and petted her head gently.

"It's okay you're the only person I can count on auntie" Maya hugged her aunt and Nina smiled at her. Maya has always been like a daughter to her.