Chapter 07

Something I've picked up on ever since starting my Junior year at Oak Grove High is that the teachers use the same icebreaker to kick off every semester: which Supergenetic ability would we pick. I usually roll my eyes at it because, well, I don't need to have a vivid imagination to picture what my life would be like with a Supergene.

I still like to answer honestly. I think if I did have a say in it, I would choose invisibility. You know, just for some variety. Living my whole life with the same power stops feeling special after a while. I've heard all the typical answers hundreds of times at this point: superspeed, flight, shapeshifting, even some idealized versions of telekinesis. Call me basic, but I don't actually care if my powers are exciting or particularly flashy. I would just need them to be reliable. After all, they're just for me to know about.

It's in moments like these where I wish these thought experiments could be real.

As the looming figures grow nearer, I press my back against the chain link fence, forming a plan. I may not have been gifted with invisibility but I do have telekinesis in my arsenal. If my decisions are going to lead me into conflict with Supergenetic criminals, I'm at least going to defend myself with what I've got.

"Someone over there?" The deeper voice grunts as his silhouette grows closer. Yeah, that's right, come at me.

A couple of police and ambulance sirens wail in the distance, growing louder as they draw closer. Somebody at the school must have called them. Part of me hopes that they get here in time to catch whoever these people are so I don't have to go through with this. The other part of me doesn't want to give any reason for the authorities to trace the lights back to me.

"Let's just go," the deep voice says, a hint of worry in his tone.

The shuffling of their feet momentarily halts. No, come on, just a bit further!

"They could have sent someone, you never know."

"Fine." The shuffling resumes.

Finally, I have them where I want them.

"And..." I breathe, "Now."

With a grunt, I use all my remaining strength in my forearms to push upward, levitating the surrounding dumpsters just barely off the ground. Metal scrapes against metal until the two figures are completely enclosed in their rotten cage, save for their heads peeking out over the top.

"What on Earth?" The deep voice bellows.

I cry out in relief as I release my hold on the dumpsters and they thud to the ground, rustling as the garbage settles. My head spins.

"Hey!" Deep yells out, banging on the side. "Who are you? What do you want?"

"Don't panic, I'll get us out quick, we're done here anyway."

Crap. Now that I've seen with my own eyes what one of them is capable of, I'm not sticking around to learn what the others' Supergenetic abilities might be.

Wasting no time, I duck through the space between one dumpster and the wall of the alleyway to make my escape.

"Wait!" Raspy calls out after me, "You have a Supergene, right? Telekinesis or something? Are you with the Department of Heroes?"

I stop in my tracks. As far as the world knows, The Department of Heroes disbanded years ago. Even if I'm exhausted and terrified, I can't deny that my interest is piqued. What if they know something about my dad? It's not often that Supergenetic people just turn up in your way.

"No, I'm not with them," I reply slowly, "Are you?"

"Ha! As if. I just haven't seen powers like yours since Double Helix was around, and you know those two were the top dogs of the D.O.H." The light of the exit sign barely illuminates the top of her head: short black hair with red streaks.