Chapter Eleven

Did she ever shut up?

“He’s just so tasty, do you know what I mean?” I nodded numbly. “That soft hair, those eyes, that body.” Jess shivered in anticipation, I really didn’t want to know where here mind was. “You should see it Rayne, actually wait, never mind, he’s mine.” She chuckled swinging her legs up onto the sofa, a grin stretching out on her face.

“I didn’t want to see it.” I kicked her lightly, laughing as I rearranged myself so we were both led down, feet to head, our laptops placed warmly on our legs. Jess snorted at me, clearly disproving that I wouldn’t want to see her boyfriends oh so lovely body. Apparently.

“We’ve got to get you a guy,” And here we go again, “Someone tall, oh a footballer!” She exclaimed, giggling happily as she began to rumble on about the potential guys I could, in her words, get it on with. Sighing, I nodded absentmindedly, my fingers strumming over my laptop keys, occasionally mumbling a quick yeah to her never ending stream of words.

My latest project was one of nude models, the joys of an artist, the joys of my university days. I got to research naked men, my mum would most probably blush in embarrassment if she saw me doing this and my dad is most probably turning in his grave. But naked men, Life models, can I get a hallelujah?

“Oh he’s hot.” Jess snapped me out my reverie. Looking up I saw her expecting eyes waiting. Umm.

“Wha-” I was cut off as a phone was suddenly chucked at my head. “Jess!” I shrieked arms flailing as I attempted to catch the bloody phone, it brushed my fingers before landing on the plush carpet next to sofa we both currently resided.

“Thank God for Ikea.” She chuckled before prodding my leg. “Pick it up, Rayne.” What’s got her all excited? The boyfriend? Sighing, I balanced myself as I lent over picking up the metal contraption, getting ready to pass it towards her I stopped. Groaning, I looked at the screen, she was man picking again.

“No.” I stubbornly let out, slamming my laptop shut, my heart crumbling slightly as I lost sight of a rather attractive dark hair man. Scrambling up and turning to her, I watched as she moaned, running a hand through her short red hair, the ends sticking up in every direction, I repressed a snicker. Now was not the time to laugh, she had gone too far again. “Stop this. I’m fine.”

“Rayne-” Jess started.

“I. Am. Fine.” I growled, before rushing towards the bathroom, I could hear her sock muted footsteps getting closer.

“It’ll be-” I slammed the bathroom door loudly. “Fun.” She finished, her voice blocked by the wooden door between us. Sighing, I leant against it, my hands rushing towards my face, trying to keep myself together. “He’s a friend of Tee’s,” She began again; I rolled my eyes, staring around the bathroom.

She’s used my mouthwash.

“I’ve met him before, he’s funny and he’s had his heart broken too.” Great another rejected male for me to rebound with. “You guys relate well,” I could hear the desperation in her voice, “Please, Rayne. He’s Tee’s friend, I don’t want to let the boyfriend down.” Not only has she’s agreed to something, but I know she’s told Tee about Tim.

Moving away from the door, I went to the sink, the mirrored cupboard above it already opened from Jess’s shower this morning. Picking up my blue shampoo bottle and placing it on the side, I closed the mirror with a slight thud, my dull reflection staring back at me.

Ever since that day, makeup remained off my face, my hair scraped back into a high ponytail and my eyes were drawn of any colour. It took me over a month to finally confess the happening back home to Jess, she was the only one on campus, besides my lecturers, that knew what had gone down in London.