Chapter Nine

Beep, Beep, Beep.

The torturous sound echoed through the silent room, the slight shuffling of patient’s outside the door the only other sound around me.

My hand gripped the slightly cold one tighter, wrapping my nimble fingers closer around his.

“Rayne,” Mrs Walter whispered, “It’s been almost five months honey.” She spoke, her voice catching at the end. Her feet scuffed against the vinyl floor as she took the seat next to me, but my eyes never wavered from his face.

“I know.” My voice was only just audible as I replied. Of course I knew. I’ve been at his side every night until I finished school, without him. I was here every day since, never straying too far in hope that he was wake up and smile at me, laugh at one of my ridiculous jokes or ask if a new book had been written in one of his beloved series.

I’m sorry.

“It’s time sweetie.” Mr Walters voice spoke up as he walked through the hospital door, the patients noise dying down as the door slammed closed.

“No.” I spat out, my head snapping to Tim’s father, watching as he hung his head, eyes focused on the unconscious boy laying quietly in the hospital bed, who’s life my worst enemy has destroyed.

Thorn was evil.

I don’t know who he is, what he wants and more importantly, I don’t know what he is, but next time he magically appears, he will pay.

I won’t fear him this time.

“It’s not your choice, Rayne.” Mr Walter announced sadly, his large hand landing on my shoulder giving it a reassuring squeeze. Reassuring my ass.

Tim had been in a coma for the past five months, his heart beat continuously steady, breathes even. Only once had it increased, only once had the doctors flurried in so quickly to see what the almighty roar was. It was the day I had woken up, only a week after the crash.

I was confused apparently, as anyone would be after waking up in a hospital, the endless beeps, the sterile smell, it wasn’t a great sit to wake up too. My mum was in tears of course; her head lead against mine on the pillow, tears soaking into the light blue cotton. She all but squealed when I shifted trying too comfort her, although I didn’t exactly know why I was trying to make her feel better.

She never left my side that day. Hands always running around my face, her eyes trying not to linger away from my own for more than a second, almost like I was going to disappear, go back into my unconscious state. I was glad of that, for when they told me Tim was in critical condition, my own heart rate hit the roof.

I screamed, I cried, I shook as I tried to free myself from all the cables around me, IV’s, a heart monitor, even a bag for my pee, I tried to rip them all off. The doctors fled in, telling me not too move, that I couldn’t go and see Tim, but I was determent.

I got that from my mother.

I remember them all sighing, coming over an unhooking me from the vast amount of medical cables that surround me. My mother had held my hand straight away, as soon as I had stood up. I was unsteady, but that didn’t matter, with aid of my mum, I stumbled to Tim’s room, only a few doors down.

I didn’t cry when I saw him, I didn’t allow myself too. I just went and held his hand, not caring that his parents where trilling around me, apparently pleased I was awake.

I was sure they hated me. I was the sole reason their son was lying in this bed, practically dead to the world. But they thought it was the trucks fault, that the truck was to blame. But they didn’t know it was being controlled by him, by Thorn.