Prologue

"Eww stop! Dating Kiyoomi will feel like I'm dating my little brother or something, that's gross."

"I'm literally his second mother."

"Eh... I'd rather go for guys older than me."

"He thinks of me as nothing more than an older sister, I'm sure of it."

Your seemingly innocuous remarks echo inside his mind. 

It hurt hearing those words. No matter how many times he shook it off, it always came back like a stab to the chest. It was ironic how he attracted every other girl but the one he wanted.

Sakusa seeing you only as an older sister was true for the majority of his childhood, however feelings develop and things change. He sighed at the photo, depicting himself with a forced smile and you with your arms around him, resting your head on his. 

Is that really all I am to you? Am I stupid to think that it's actually possible?  

Sakusa reached for his phone and dialled a number, the person on the other line picked up in an instant. 

"Omi, what's wrong?" His heart flutters, hearing your voice emit from the device. 

"I don't know... just bored I guess." 

"Bored? I'll come over and we can play card games or something, how does that sound?" 

"But it's nearly ten." He responds, glancing at the digital clock on his desk. 

"Oh, I guess I'll be playing uno by myself all night..."

Sakusa scoffs, "okay fine, hurry up."

"Alright then, see you soon." 

That was the last thing he heard before the beep sounded, signalling the end of the call. 

This was self-sabotage. Sakusa knew, but he enjoyed floating amidst his ocean of false hope and lies. He loved telling himself that there was a chance. Even if the size of the chance would be  equivalent to a millionth of a grain of sand, it'll happen some day. 

Though, he wasn't delusional enough to completely shut out the harsh truths of reality. He stays still in his seat, pondering the same question he'd been asking the world for years.  

Why was it so hard to love someone who was born only three years before you were?