Helpless

TW: mild violence

The two of you were nearly through the gates until you felt a tug on your skirt.

"Can you take me home?" he asked in almost a whisper.

You glanced down at him, "why? What's wrong?"

Sakusa let out a breath, he realized he'd rather not explain the situation and cause a hassle. "Nevermind, let's go."

He took a stride forward but was stopped when you gently pulled him back by his schoolbag. You knelt down to his level, "is there something you want to tell me?"

The little boy did his best to avoid eye-contact, "no. I wanna get to class now."

The beating of his heart grew to a crescendo as you remained silent with a serious look on your face, his nervous tension did nothing to make his lies any more believable.

"Is there someone in your class who's-"

"Kiyoomi!"

A brunette had appeared out of nowhere without warning, flinging his arm around Sakusa's neck.

"Arata brought his pet beetle to class today and it's so big!" he exclaimed. Only just noticing your presence, Komori let out a wide grin, "would you like to see the beetle too?"

You shake your head and put your hands on their shoulders, "It's okay, you guys go."

"Alright then, we'll see you later!"

Watching Komori drag his cousin away, your smile dropped. You bit down on your lip, feeling the worry settle in your gut.

He'll be okay... I hope

.

.

.

As Komori expected, Sakusa did not give a single damn about some beetle. Even if it was five centimeters long with an awesome rhinosaur horn.

While the rest of the class was busy fussing over a bug in the other class next door, Sakusa was at his desk in the corner building houses with his stationery. He couldn't deny how entertaining it was. So far, he'd built a mansion with colour pencils, inhabited by a small, but happy family of three pen caps. He planned on putting a swimming pool in the backyard of the mansion, until everything was obliterated by the flick of a fleshy finger.

Tilting his head up, his gaze was met by none other than Nakamura. He took notice of the three others behind him.

"Hey Sakusa, I just wanted to say sorry for the other day. I didn't know you were an orphan." He sneered, accentuating the last word with a smirk.

The insides of Sakusa's chest gave a sudden twist.

"I have parents," he stated.

"Really? Are you sure they don't only exist in your imagination?" Another boy jeered.

The ravenette hesitated, "they... they work a lot..."

"Yeah, because they wanna get away from you," Nakamura taunted.

That hit hard, however Sakusa was sure he could deal with it. He knew the type of reaction they were searching for, he wasn't going to give it to them.

With a heavy sigh, he rose from his seat, Nakamura watched him with suspicion.

"Where're you going?" he demanded.