Chapter 8: a happy family

George was thankful for living in 2020. The age of the internet where, if you had no idea how to do something, with one click of a button you could after ten minutes.

Though George had this advantage, he himself was the problem. He had watched different tutorials but he was still confused.

He was visible to the cars passing by and must have looked absolutely stupid. He groaned and put his hand through his hair, planting flowers could not possibly be that hard.

"How does Karl do this?" George whispered aggressively to himself before crumbling onto the hard dirt.

The man who had watched him dig up the time capsule was once again writing furiously in his pocket notebook, before spotting George and walking towards him.

George started to panic. Why was this stranger walking toward him? Who was he?

He did not have time to think before the stranger appeared in front of him and pulled down his hoodie to reveal a young man in a beanie and circular, gold rimmed glasses. "You look like you're struggling. May I help?"

George watched him suspiciously, wondering why a passerby would help someone like him with such a seemingly easy talk like planting flowers, "Er- I just don't know how to do this."

The man knelt down in front of the plant pot, "I'm Wilbur. Wilbur Soot. I live a couple houses down with my young son."

George was a bit more relieved when he learned the man was a father, "George Davidson." They shook hands, "How old is your son?"

Wilbur gestured over to a line of trees in which a boy and his friend were sword-fighting, "The blonde one's mine. He's 6."

George watched the two young boys play. "You took my video game disc and broke it! That disc was so important to me!" One of them said as he slashed his foam sword toward his smaller, brunette friend.

His poor friend cowered slightly but swung his sword nonetheless, "It's just a disc, Tommy!" He said in a high pitched voice, but Tommy was not giving in, he kept going at it, which highly amused George.

"Tommy!" A blonde woman with a soft voice called to him, "Play nice, please!" She seemed used to yelling at him for that reason.

"But he took my-" Tommy began to sputter but was interrupted immediately.

"It's a disc, Tommy," The woman told him, "we can get another one easily."

Tommy shook his head angrily, "It won't be the same." He complained, and his brunette friend rolled his eyes before dodging another sword hit.

"They seem close." George told Wilbur, and Wilbur nodded with a smile.

"Practically been friends since birth."

Wilbur seemed experienced with planting flowers, expertly burying the seed and watering as if he's done so many times in the past.

"Thank you." George sent a small smile to Wilbur, "I assume it's not that hard and I'm just extremely dense."

"No pro-" Wilbur began but his son ran toward him suddenly, tears in his eyes. "Daddy! He's here again!" The boy sobbed, collapsing into his father's arms.

"Who's here, Tommy?" Wilbur comforted the young boy.

"Uncle!" Tommy cried into Wilbur's chest, pointing to his far left.

Wilbur looked at George apologetically, "He's afraid of his uncle."

George was about to ask why when suddenly a man with a tall stature, boots, and hair with pink highlights shouted, "WHERE IS THESEUS?"

George understood why Tommy found him intimidating. He was terrifying and his voice boomed across the neighborhood.

"I heard a little someone is fighting people for a disc. If that's you, come here and fight me to the death!" The uncle shouted, before spotting Tommy, "Was it you?"

"N-no" Tommy whimpered but Techno moved closer, not believing his lie, "Okay yes. I'm sorry Uncle Techno."

Wilbur looked to the blonde woman, "Did you call him, Niki?"

Niki gave an apologetic look, "He was being mean to Tubbo, and this is the only way to stop him."

Uncle "Techno" grabbed the sword from Tubbo and marched toward Tommy, "I'll show you what fighting for possessions looks like."

"AAAAAAH" Tommy ran past Techno, who attempted to grab him but he was too slippery. He made a beeline to Tubbo, "I'm sorry, Tubbo."

"Is Tubbo his real name?" George asked Wilbur.

"No," Wilbur explained, "His name is Toby, but we nickname him Tubbo because he admires the historical figure so much. You know, Schlatt's assistant."

Tubbo smiled, "It's alright Tommy." He said before giving his friend a hug. All was well.

"That was easier than I thought." Techno shrugged as he watched the boys embrace, "Bummer, I thought I'd actually get to fight a child." He threw the sword down before walking away.

George laughed during the whole situation, they seemed like such a happy family. A sting of jealousy filled up inside him. From seeing Tommy play with a friend, to Wilbur and Niki's hilarious parenting style, he wish he had grown up like that.

"Well I should go." Wilbur told George, "My father's coming in tonight for dinner, and he hasn't done that in a while so it's quite a big deal."

George grinned, "Nice meeting you and your family, Wilbur." He got up and brushed the dirt off his jeans, "I hope we'll get to talk again."

Wilbur yelled for Tommy, "So do I. Have a nice day!" He walked toward his son, picking him up and urging Tubbo to follow so he could get back home to his family safe and sound.