Chapter 16: the vase

Nick Armstrong, also know as Sapnap, was Dream's closest friend.

They had met in 1962 after school. Dream was sitting on a staircase and Sapnap had just walked out of the gates stuffing papers into his backpack. A page of his math homework flew out, the wind blowing it to where Dream sat. Sapnap ran quickly to the staircase to retrieve it when he spotted Dream right next to where it had landed, crying into his arms.

"Are you alright?" Sapnap had asked the boy, who refused to look at him or show any indication that he had heard what he said. "I didn't come here to bother you, I just wanted my paper back."

Dream revealed himself from his vulnerable position, avoiding eye contact with Sapnap before picking up the piece of paper and handing it to him. "Here you go, sorry."

Sapnap retrieved the paper from Dream, and was about to walk away when he decided he didn't want to leave the boy crying on the staircase without at least knowing if he'd be able to get home safe. "You don't look like you're doing too groovy." He stated the obvious, and Dream just stared out in front of him, at a man clutching a bottle in his hand and yelling at a woman.

Sapnap followed his line of sight, and after realizing what Dream was staring at, he made a sound indicating he had understood, "Is that why you're sad? Who is that?"

Dream stayed quiet for a moment, wondering why this boy had been so interested in his situation. He was cynical and was looking for a deeper reason as to why the boy had cared so much, but couldn't find any. "My dad." Dream finally spoke, shooting lasers at the drunk man in the parking lot.

Sapnap sat down next to him, "Is the woman your mom?"

"Yes." Dream responded, sniffling and wiping his eye with the rough sleeve of his jacket, "My dad is a right fleabag to her. He doesn't hurt her but he yells at her. And me."

"Mine is too." Sapnap put his legs up to his chest and wrapped his arm around them, "Mom says it's because he's still bugged out from the war."

Dream's eyes widened, "My mom tells me that too." He looked happier knowing he wasn't the only one in his current situation, "Your dad fought in the war, then?"

"Yeah," Sapnap turned toward the boy, "he has a lot of medals and stuff, he doesn't let me touch them."

"My Dad never got any awards," Dream gestured toward his father, who was leaning on his car while his mother was pinching her nose in annoyance, "it's okay though, he doesn't really deserve them."

Sapnap caught sight of a white slug bug car and got up quickly, "Oh no, I have to go." He told Dream, who got up as well, "Maybe we can talk more at school?"

"Definitely," Dream held out his hand, "I'm Clay. I'm in Class B."

Nick took the boys hand and shook it, "Nick." He introduced himself, "I have to book it, but meet me here tomorrow after school again." He shouted as he ran towards his car. Dream agreed, and looked over darkly to his parents in the parking lot. He was still afraid to go over to them and encourage them to drive him home already, there was too much tension he felt but couldn't understand.

He started walking over to them anyway, when he saw Nick running back toward him, "My mom said she can give you a ride to my place. You dig? You can stay over for a bit too." He offered.

Dream's eyes widened and he nodded enthusiastically, "I'd love to, thank you so much Nick."

"No problem, I can show you my Dad's medals too." Nick said excitedly as they walked to his car, "Do your parents mind?"