Chapter 15: time's torture

Wilbur Soot had texted George at six in the morning, asking for his help.

Wilbur: Hello, George. I do apologize that this text finds you so early in the morning, but I would like to ask a favour.
Are you busy today?

George: It's no problem, I woke up early anyway but no I don't have any plans as far as I know

George was curious as to what the favor was. He thought it might have been an invitation to something at first but from how semi-serious Wilbur's tone was, he knew that wasn't the case.

Wilbur: Are you good with kids?

George: I'm not horrible I guess
Why?

Wilbur: Would you be able to watch over Tommy?
I know he can be a handful but my family and I have found ourselves in a sort of emergency and all the adults are needed.

George: Is everything ok?
Also yes, I reckon can watch Tommy

Wilbur: I'm going to be honest, I'm quite unsure
There's a lot going on right now, I've taken a work leave and Dave's even closed his store for the rest of the week
We all just hope everything will be fine
Thank you for your concern, we appreciate it

George: No problem
I hope everything turns out ok, whatever it is
but anyway, would you like to bring Tommy here? or should I go to yours?

Wilbur: Is it alright if you come to ours?
He's easier to take care of when he's entertained and out of your hair
All of the stuff he has to entertain him is here

George: Yeah sounds good
I can be there in an hour?

Wilbur: That works out
Thank you again, we definitely owe you one.

George plugged his phone in while he went to the kitchen to make himself a bowl of cereal (as it was the fastest to make and eat). After that he rushed to wash his face and change out of his pajamas. Finishing faster than he expected, he asked Wilbur if he could come earlier than he had planned. Wilbur said it was actually convenient, since he, Niki, and Dave were leaving soon.

It took a couple turns and attempts to find their house in the neighborhood, but after George spotted the number painted on the curbside, he parked on the side of the road before locking his car and knocking at the door.

The house was decorated beautifully on the outside, with the roof lined in hanging flowers, a white archway on the path to the door, and wind chimes that sang together as the last of the warm summer wind blew on them.

The door in front of him opened, revealing Niki. "George!" She gave him a hug, surprising him but he found himself hugging back, "I'm sorry this was so last minute."

George dropped his keys on accident, and he leaned down to pick them up before looking to Niki again, "No, no. You've been great company to me lately and this is something I feel like I owe you."

"Oh don't be silly," Niki smiled, "you don't owe us anything for friendship."

Wilbur walked up behind her, carrying a small backpack of things. His eyes looked dreadful. They were baggy and dark, and the amount of hours he had slept the previous night could be determined by his face alone. "George, good to see you." He greeted, patting him on the shoulder, "Thank you for coming by so early. Tommy is up in his bedroom right now, still asleep. He wakes up in around ten minutes."

Wilbur gave Niki the backpack to load into the car, where Dave was already sitting at the steering wheel waiting for them. Wilbur led George inside, showing him where everything was kept and also where he had put Tommy's meals (which were pre-prepared for George's convenience). He urged him to not hesitate to call if there was emergency, and that he could eat whatever he wanted from their kitchen if he should ever get hungry.