Chapter 20: Akroob

How can we know the future? Why do we fear? It is said that anticipation, not knowing what pain will befall you, or when your deepest hopes will prevail, is of the worst kinds of pain.
— Anath shen Sorrel Albandor of Yambisey

Lianna stood on the bow as, all too soon, the Illama docked at Fal Oreb. Canúden stood with her like a shadow. The reality of Fal Oreb, earth and lavender stone, thick green canopies, loomed before her like her destiny. There had been no storms, no sinking, no means of escape. Do not be afraid of your destiny Mama had said. Lianna trembled anyway. Canúden took her hand; his was sweaty.

Barefooted and shirtless dock men rushed on board to open the hatches, and lifted barrels and boxes up and out with pulleys and ropes; Captain Fronck had decided selling wares in Akroob would be just as good as selling them in Tremalka. The passengers were all above deck, chatting noisily about fresh food and dry land, crossing the gang plank to Fal Oreb to enjoy time on land while they could, before resuming their unusually lengthy voyage to Tremalka.

Taking a shaking breath echoed by her companion, the girl glanced to the golden horizon eastward beyond Canúden’s shoulders; blue seabirds called overhead as they swooped and swerved and dived wherever they desired. She turned. The soldiers gripped the leads of their chained black hunting dogs on deck several paces away; the beasts strained at their leashes after their close confinement in the ship’s kennels.

Canúden’s eyes appeared troubled, but he smiled gravely. “Let’s go. I… don’t particularly want to see her box. We must not be frightened.” He paused, as if in thought. “'Let’s prove ourselves mighty in mind and activity.'” That last was likely a quote from some favorite philosopher.

She had time to only feel the essence of his words before Corelos, Borthos, Pascal and Amten climbed the steps up to the bow, the four dogs yapping behind them. Lianna froze, and so did Canúden, though he fixed his features in a semblance of serenity. He dropped her hands and turned to face the soldiers.

“Ah, we have arrived at last,” Canúden said, patting a dog on the head lightly. “These beasts will be happy for the hunt again, I’m sure. Let’s hope they can find a more worthy prey than what they’ve hunted before.” He glanced at Lianna, and the soldiers grinned.

“They hunt what we tell ‘em to hunt.” Corelos patted Canúden on the shoulder, shoving him against Lianna in the process. “Maybe they will hunt you next time, eh?”

Canúden brushed off his sleeve, and straightened his collar, retaining his calm. “Perhaps.”

Tutang hobbled out of his cabin with a cane and rushed across the deck to the bow; passengers who remained on deck parted respectfully, or perhaps begrudgingly, out of the way. People on the dock pointed. He was wearing his hideous green silk robe with the gold trim. “We’re here!” he called long before he reached the bow. “Oh, we can settle all this nasty war business now. Tamil won’t be happy about waiting so long for us.” Springtide was a few days away, not past. Tamil wouldn’t have been waiting.

He stumbled up the stairs, then gave one of the dogs a hug before speaking again. “Boy, I tell you my legs don’t work like they used to. Too bad Dylin can’t fix up this bad knee for me.” Sighing, he shook his head. “Well, we have a lot to do, Lianna. I hope you’re ready.”

She looked up into his eyes as he lay a gentle hand on her shoulder. She would rather have pet a slug than remain there, but following Canúden’s example, she attempted to don an expression of calm. Her fingers trembled, but she willed her tears back. For a moment, Tutang’s gray eyes lost the empty, unfocused look, and he squeezed her arm as any father might to comfort his frightened daughter. “I’m truly sorry about your mother.” Sorrow, even regret — fearsome guilt? — crossed his features. He spoke quietly, as if to himself, but still looked into his daughter’s eyes. “I... I don’t know for sure what happened. What nightmares I’ve been having lately. I’ve seen her crying and pleading, but…” His eyes closed up again; not that the lids covered them, but that they lost their depth and focus. “Now Lianna, this is for the best. Please believe that this is for the good of our people. Tamil has chosen her most noble son, and you may even like him. I wouldn’t choose a boar for you. He seems nice enough, when I met him before. Please don’t be frightened of your destiny, girl. Everything will be all right.”