Chapter 11: Turbia's Arrival

Part 2
Years pass, nations rise and fall, and all that matters is the bond of love we share.
—Anath shen Sorrel Albandor of Yambisey

"Emick's finally old enough," said Minara. Three sapphire balls of energy twirled among her fingers; the Ball of Shadows sat hot in her other hand.

"Good," said Tavaris. The Ball warmed on her fingers, and she imagined the warmth indicated his pleasure.  "War can get tedious after seven years. I suppose it was easy to end?"

"It took some twisting of minds, breaking of arms. Nothing strenuous. Remember, Tamil is my pet. War of conquest is often the easiest and most fun to win."

"How did you get a woman like Tamil to bear six sons?" said Tavaris. "I mean, what man would want to touch her?"

Minara shrugged with a smile. "It wasn't hard. I ensorcelled Damyx kel Torgen to be dazzled by her power. He was one of the Council members she dismissed. I couldn't get him to start the war, but he had his uses. Let's just say, he got drunk. Very drunk. Some men like large women anyway."

"I'm having difficulty imagining it even working with someone so large."

"Some men like a challenge," she said.

Tavaris barked a laugh. "So, Damyx will be my grandfather."

"You'll probably never meet him. Damyx never stuck around to raise the boy. Not like he was married to Tamil. Couldn't stand her, especially after he was dismissed from the council. Emick's a fine young man. Naïve, but he knows how to use his muscles to please a woman."

"Should I be jealous?"

Minara sat straighter. "If I'm going to have a son with him, I'm going to enjoy every second of the experience.  You are my true and only love, Tavaris."

"Of course I am. Maybe I am a bit jealous that you can feel the pleasures of the flesh,  while I'm stuck in the Void. Making me a body will do nothing if you don't find the Ball of Lights to get me out of this waste."

"I'll find it."

"It won't work without the building, you know," he said.

"Of course not, my love." In frustration, the thought had crossed her mind to break the building to pieces until she found it. "If I thought I could find the Ball through crumbling Gallel, I would have done it long ago. I can feel it: The time is close. The Ball will be in our hands. The prophesies make it clear it will be found soon."

***

The Feast of Lights, the first day of the year, had started dark and cold.

At the base of Gallel's grand south entrance, Canúden leaned against the rough trunk of a darkwood. The bare branches of winter did little to shield him from the damp morning snow. His dark, hooded cloak did slightly better, tightly-woven as it was. At least with kel wages, he could buy whatever warm clothing suited him. Gallel's south-most tower rose majestically to the right, the crystal-topped spire managing to sparkle even in the drizzle.

Everyone from Gallel, hostler boys to Kel Tutang himself, stood morosely outside to watch Turbia's pompous procession parade through the palace gates. The Galians stood in small groups, periodically exchanging a few, sometimes frightened, words with their companions.

The war had lasted seven years, Galia was defeated, and Tamil san Rheinkenohmen, First Councilor of Turbia, came to announce her demands to Kel Tutang. Five coaches, each grander than the one before, cluttered the half circle drive, as though one woman, large as she was,  needed so many to announce her presence. Four matched buckskins pulled each coach, the horses individually too delicate to manage with fewer. The pretty harnesses restricted the poor creatures to keep their heads high, and feet prancing. They deserved rest and oats.