Ch.5 The Talk Too Soon To Get

Tzuyu POV

"...but have  you ever considered meeting your parents at a more godly time?" Chaeyoung asks me as I fold the blankets I borrowed last night.

"Chaengie, it is a godly time: 9AM," I chuckle and she blinks before checking the time herself.

"So it seems..." She yawns and sits up on her bed.

"You don't have to get up, ya know?" I say and sling the bag I brought over my shoulder, "It's me that has to meet up with my parents, not you."

"Yeah but it'd be pretty terrible of me not to see my friend and guest out the door," She says and chuckles, "Pretty sure my mom would scold me if I didn't make sure to see you before you leave."

"Ah yes, we wouldn't want that now, would we?" I chuckle and I exit the room and she follows.

"Are you just going to walk or is there some sort of black SUV waiting outside that's going to take a 'confusing twenty minute joy ride' to your apartment that's like 5 minutes away?" She asks before I open the front door.

"Ha, funny, I'm just going to walk," I sigh remembering that weird drive from yesterday, "My parents aren't here so there's no point."

"Touché," Chaeyoung nods, "Have a safe walk."

"I will, see you tomorrow," I smile at her and for a moment, I thought I saw her cheeks turn pink but I felt myself turn fast out the door.

"Yeah," She says quietly before adding on, "We should hang out more often, I mean, if you want to..."

"Of course," I felt a bigger smile tugging at the corners of my mouth as I briefly turn around and wave before going down the steps.

As I walk down the recently fixed sidewalk, I can feel something inside of me. A bubbling, happy feeling. And it's quite obvious what is making me feel like this: the thought of hanging out with Chaeyoung again. It's been so long and not going to lie, I want to know why she stopped hanging out with me in the first place. But those questions have time to get answers for, what I don't have a lot of time for is saying bye to my parents before they go back to Taiwan.

I stepped into my apartment, threw my bag to the side for later and changed into nicer clothes. I tied up my hair and put large-framed sunglasses in my pocket, I then apply lip gloss and mascara. I relaxed for a bit, scrolling through Instagram and twitter until I look at the time and see that it's 10:30. So, I text my parents and tell them that I'm ready for lunch. A minute later, my mom texts me back:

Mom

We'll be there in about 20 min. 

Have to take long way 

Me

Ok

I sigh then look at the time. It takes me about 5 min to get down stairs so I need to be downstairs by 10:45 and then sprint into the black SUV my parents are using. When it got to 10:40, I left my apartment and went down to ground level. I put on the sunglasses and checked the time: 10:43.  I look out the lobby entrance's window and into the street. Nothing yet. The security guard to the building looks at me for a moment but just shrugs, he knows I live here and this isn't the first time that I've done this. When I saw the SUV coming down the street, I noticed that some cars were following behind it.

"Oh fun," I grumble, "Now I got a solid second..."

I ran out and the SUV made an abrupt stop that would probably get the driver arrested if there were cops around. I swung open the door and slammed it shut before cars following could see. Could've sword I also saw a bicyclist and motorcyclist as well. 

"Well this is a fun way to go to lunch," My dad jokes in the passenger seat, my mom is in the window seat on the other side. 

"Very," I say and we take a very confusing thirty minute drive that eventually lead to Chaeyoung's Mom's diner. 

We quickly ran out after being dropped off in the back and the back door labeled EMPLOYEES ONLY opened. It was Chaeyoung's mom and we quickly went inside. 

"I have a booth reserved for you three," She says and leads us to the corner booth of her restaurant. 

We sit down and look over the menus before finally ordering. When we gave the Chaeyoung's mom the menus, we sat there talking.

"Tzuyu, you're doing great, keep those grades up but don't overwork yourself like you used to," My dad says and I chuckle nervously. 

"When we go back, we're going to meet with your Uncle," My mom tells me and I give her a questioning look; I have three close uncles, "Your favorite one."

"Oh, cool, why?" I ask, my uncle is like the right hand man to my dad and said that I'm like a daughter to him after his son left to pursue something they argued about. 

"Well, I was supposed to attend a meeting this weekend but he went in my stead so I can come here," My dad smiles and I smile but I also feel pang of guilt; my uncle hates going to meetings with other companies.

Soon enough, food arrives and we start eating. As we eat, my dad quickly tests my English by asking me some questions and I answer in broken sentences but to be honest, it's better than how I did last time he tested me. 

"You're improving," He chuckles and my mom gives me a smile that clearly said, good job, it was funny, but good job. 

"Are you going to be alright?" My mom asks as our dishes get taken away.

"I'm always alright, mom," I smile and they both chuckle.

"Well, before we go, I need to tell you something," My dad says, his voice softens but I can tell he's serious.

"Hon, isn't this a little too soon?" My mom says and she has a frown on her face but my dad nods slowly. 

"Tzuyu, we know you're very capable of taking care of yourself. I truly apologize that we can't be with all the time and we try to be here for you as much as possible without getting you thrown into the spot light," My dad starts and I just nod, "You need to be very careful now. I'm getting older and people know that my child and heir is here. A few months ago, we didn't have to take all these crazy long way rides to places but they finally narrowed down that you live here. I- no, we, don't know what we'd do if you got caught up in all of this or even targeted because you're my heir and only daughter. I've had many success in my life but you are my greatest, sweet heart."

I can feel tears forming in my eyes and a knot of hot emotions in my throat but I swallow it and nod.

"If anything happens to us, you have your uncle," My mom says and I frown at that.

"Are...you being targeted?" I whisper and they exchange a look, "Is that those who those people who are following us are?"

"Yes...I recently wrote an article that displeased certain men with not so pleasant businesses," My mom sighed, "And we have all this security and publicity now because of it. We're glad they haven't found out who you are but we have had people guarding you since."

"Wait, what?" I say and look to my dad who nods, "Hm. If I was unreasonable I'd yell at you for not telling me but since I now know the circumstances and have been used to caution: I understand."

"Ah, you've grown up too fast," my mom hugs me, "I guess that's our fault but I'm very happy with who you are, Tzu."

"Thank you," We all get up and hug. It's now 12:01PM and more people are entering the diner so my parents give me one last hug, kiss, and goodbye before disappearing into the back of the diner with Chaeyoung's mom.

I stand there for a moment before turning around and leaving through the front door. 

"Be safe," I whisper as I exit the restaurant and see the black SUV go down the road in the opposite direction of where I intend to go now.