Ch.12 Wait, what?

Tzuyu POV

It's been a few months since my parents died.

I find myself missing them every once in awhile. I used to call my mom everyday. When I stayed at Chaeyoung' s for a month, I was never alone and always talked to Chaeyoung or her family. But I started living on my own again two months ago and now I notice the things I used to do before it all happened. I learned that the accident my parents got into was staged by the man my mom told me about; the one who was hired to set up my parents' car confessed and the evidence is just stacking up. I've been seeing articles and people's pity messages but I don't want their pity. I understand they have good intentions but all it does is remind me of the fact that my parents are gone and  I'm now alone.

At least, that's what I always tell myself. 

It's like Chaeyoung magically knows when I'm feeling down, even when we're not together. I might be staring at pictures of my parents and she calls me right then. When we're with the others, I'm considered quiet at times, but I tend to think a lot and she takes my hand or hugs me. I don't know if the others notice this stuff but she does and it just makes me all of a sudden happy whenever she does. 

Another plus is that there's less cameras following me all the time. They recently decreased but I still take the long way home. The only time I'd see flashes are at school or before I enter Chaeyoung' s mom's diner with my friends. I always apologize to everyone in the diner for the commotion outside when entering the diner; I just feel bad that they get caught up in it all or might get in a photo. But with this form of freedom I have, I can go out more often. People recognize me every once in awhile but I ignore the looks. At first it bothered me but the others distract me with their silliness or Chaeyoung gives me a hug. Now that I think about it, we've been attached by the hip lately. I don't mind...sure my heart races and Jeongyeon or Nayeon or literally any of the unnies shoot me a smug look, but it's honestly awesome. She even goes to our practices when she can, she's like our water girl now and then we walk home together. She also goes to all of our games and since she's been around a lot she's basically a part of the team at this point and the Coach lets her ride on the bus with us. She shouldn't but we let it slide for our '#1 Fan.'

Right now, though, I'm at the last game of the season. Our friends are in the stands waving those crazy cut outs and signs and we somehow made it to the top. We're up against that team, BlackVelvet, again. We're at the seventh inning and our scores are so close...if they get eight more points we're done for. 

It all happened in a flash. We switch sides. Jeongyeon hits a homerun. Momo gets a triple. Time runs out. We win by 10 points. I get deafened by a roar of cheers. I get pulled into the sweatiest group hug of my life before somehow ending up back in the locker room. 

"That was so gut wrenching!" I hear a senior chuckle.

"Did you hear? The Captain, Irene, is inviting all of us to a party," Another senior says and I hear shocked gasps or whatever all around me.

"Let's ask if we can invite the others as well," Jeongyeon says to Momo and I. 

After showering and changing clothes, we ask the Captain if it's okay to invite our six friends as well and she tells us Captain Irene is cool with it. We run to find the others and when we do, it's at the field and I make eye contact with Chaeyoung. I smile and run a little faster but I feel someone grab my hand and tug me back. I turn around and see it's Elkie.

"Huh- Oh! Hi," I say giving her a smile but I feel impatient...annoyed even.

"Hey, good job out there today, Star Rookie!" She laughs and I laugh with her, "Are you doing something with your friends after?"

"Oh, yeah, Chaeyoung's mom is going to make us a giant victory feast!" I smile genuinely this time, the thought of a truly chaotic dinner with my friends because Chaeyoung' s mom closes the diner an hour earlier makes me happy. 

"I see," Her tone sounds different so I look at her and see that her expression was blank but her eyes were filled with irritation. Did she want to come with us?

"Hey, uh-" Before I could ask, I hear someone call me.

"TZUYU! COME ON! LET'S GO!" Jeongyeon yells.

"OKAY, I'LL BE RIGHT THERE!" I shout back and turn to Elkie, "Sorry, I have to go. Have a good night!"

She says good night and I immediately sprint to where the others are. They all give me hugs before we start leaving. I hug Chaeyoung last but there's something different about it. I ask her what's wrong but she puts on this fake smile and says that she's just hungry. I try to take my hand but she runs forward and shows Momo something on her phone, causing me to frown. 

"You're dumb," I turn and scowl at Jeongyeon, who has an arm around Mina.

"What do you mean?" I ask and even Mina shakes her head.

"You made that baby beast over there a little jelly," Jeongyeon points with her chin and I feel my brain floating in confusion.

"Wait, what? Why? Who-?" I start then blink, "Of Elkie?"

"Appears so," Mina sighs, "As soon as Elkie pulled you back, her happy expression fell faster in a blink of an eye."

"She was giving Elkie the stink eye," Jeongyeon chuckles, "I swear they were like daggers ready to pierce her soul."

"That...hm," Is all that I can say. As we continue the walk, we split into two groups to go into either Nayeon or Jeongyeon's car. 

Me, Chaeyoung, and Mina go with Jeongyeon. Chaeyoung doesn't look at me so I take out my phone and text her. She looks down and read my text. She looks at me with an unreadable expression but looks down and replies.

Tzumong

Hi, want know why my friends call me a mushroom?

Chaengie

why

Tzumong

Cause I'm a fungi

"What the heck, Tzu" She snorts and I smile at her. 

"Were you two texting each other?" Jeongyeon asks before shaking her head, "You're sitting next to each other! S p e a k."

"She said a corny joke and I blame it on you," Chaeyoung says and I laugh.

"Or from you my young Protégé," Jeongyeon smiles smugly and Chaeyoung just shoots her a look.

"Admit you liked it," I poke her in the dimple and she takes my hand and holds it.

"Not in your wildest dreams," She smiles back which causes my heart to skip a beat. 

Yup. I like her. Maybe love her. But I definitely really like her.