Chapter 8. The Marco's Deli

*Picture of Woodside Deli, Redwood City, CA*

Down the street from Marco's Deli, a blue Chevrolet Trax slowly approached. Ruby leaned on the wall, watching it come closer and stop in front of her. She couldn't hold back a smile when the vehicle's door opened, and a petite girl wrapped in a thick black downcoat stepped out.

The coat covered the girl from her neck down to below her knees, making her look even smaller than usual. Ruby chuckled—Kye couldn't stand even a little bit of cold. When they were little, Ruby used to wrap Kye's sock-covered feet in an old towel, but they had always been icy no matter what. They had made Ruby jump every time they touched her back at night as she and Kye used to share a tiny bed.

"Hey, sis..." Ruby came over with open arms.

"Hey, how you've been holding up?" Kye smiled and quickly checked the surroundings before squeezing Ruby's thin body. Kye knew she was likely paranoid, but there was nothing as being too careful, especially when it had to do with her family's safety.

Ruby backed up a few steps to observe the car when Kye let go of her. "Cute. It suits you."

Kye smiled and tapped the car's body. "Yeah, it's not bad. Michael wanted to give me something else, but I like this one. It's simple, got everything I need, and any car is better than no cars," She chuckled.

The girl had never dreamed of having a car growing up. There were only a few working ones in their whole neighborhood from before the War. Most people could only walk or ride the train. It was not like Kye and Ruby had ever gotten the need to venture far anyway.

"I bet if it's up to your feather boyfriend, he would not want you to leave the loft at all or go anywhere without an entire entourage. I know his type," Ruby smirked.

Kye blushed without commenting but agreed inwardly. Michael was overprotective, and she didn't mind. She loved that side of him.

"You got that right, unfortunately," Kye sighed.

Her smile didn't dim one bit. Ruby could tell her sister was smitten. A note of bittersweetness echoed in her chest as Ruby knew exactly what it was.

"I told Michael that mom wanted to have dinner with just the three of us," Kye continued without noticing her sister's subtle change, "Like the old times, but he was welcome to come over next time. He sulked from last night until this morning before leaving the loft," she laughed.

"Then you know what you have to do when you get back." Ruby winked suggestively.

Kye rolled her eyes and hooked her arm to Ruby's. "Right... Going inside, shall we? It's freezing out here."

"Try living by the mountains, then you know what freezing really feels like."

As soon as they stepped inside, it was as if someone had rewound the clock. The interior had not changed for decades, and the warm smell of greasy food—grilled meats and french fries— was as delightful as the girl remembered. It hit their nostrils strongly, making both their stomachs grumble even when neither of them was hungry.

A thin man-not much taller than either of them-approached with his eyes and mouth wide open. He wore a simple short-sleeved button shirt that used to be white a long time ago under a sauce-stained red apron with "Marco's Deli" in white letters. A white chef cap covered his bald head.

The man removed his cap to wipe the sweat on his forehead with it. "Jesus, if my eyes aren't playing tricks with me right now..."

Ruby and Kye crunched their noses in slight disgust before their smiles spread from ear to ear. This was home. Kye still got to come here every month on her break, or anytime Michael was not busy and in a mood to visit home with her, but Ruby had not been back here since she had left three and a half years ago.