Chapter 9. Another day

It's barely past eight in the morning, but lines of cars and trucks have slowly filled up the large dirt lot by the main gate.

Most cabins are located on the low hill behind the lot, so Kye can easily see everything from the deck of cabin 12.

She recognizes the moss green jeep almost instantly among other vehicles. The two brothers step out of it, wearing the same outfits that Kye saw them in yesterday. Dean yawns loudly and stretches his body while Sam walks over to a group of men for a chat. The guy doesn't seem to be in a bad mood. He laughs and pulls each of the men in for a half-body hug. His brother then comes over and taps on Sam's shoulder. Dean points in the direction Kye assumes is their cabin.

When Sam turns to Dean, he catches Kye watching them from the distance. He waves and gives her a bright smile.

Kye has no choice but to wave back. The way they left their conversation yesterday makes her feel awkward toward Sam. He didn't do anything wrong, in particular, and was very helpful to her, but Kye is pretty sure he was hiding something.

Maybe he just didn't tell her the whole truth, and she can't blame him for that.

They're strangers, after all, and Kye is not exactly who the Resistance would consider an ally. She also doesn't know how she feels about them yet. Not that that matters. Kye knows the smart thing would be to take time and observe the situation, but she needs Sam's help now.

When Kye finishes with her thoughts and looks down at the lot again, Sam is not there anymore.

"Damn it," Kye mutters.

She has missed him. Kye needs to get herself together quickly. Her mind is still hazy—she knows why—but it slowly gets back to normal, so there's that. Kye knows she can't continue sulking over what happened, even when a big part of her life is not there anymore.

No one to blame but herself.

Kye jumps at a cough only a few feet behind her. She turns around to see Sam standing there with a trademark earnest smile on his face.

The guy pants—must be from the climbing he did through the hill that leads directly to the side of cabin 12.

"Morning, Kye. How did you sleep last night? I hope you've settled in alright." Sam combs through his thick brown hair with his fingers. His pinkish face makes Sam look like a teenage boy.

"Morning, Sam. Yeah... I managed to get some sleep. Fortunately... How's the trip?"

There's no point in sharing her nightmares with him.

"Well, usual supplies run, you know... Got around a few checkpoints. The rest of the trip was just mountain roads. Nothing the Jeep can't handle... It can be boring sometimes, but Dean and I actually kind of enjoy it."

Kye chuckles. Men. As if she has a whole lot of experiences with them—normal human men, she means.

"That is good to hear," Kye looks down at her mustard-colored loafers and chews her bottom lip—a nervous tic she picked up after her dad died. "Uhm... Actually, there's something I want to ask you about."

Sam frowns. The way Kye looks and acts makes him feel bad. He knows he shouldn't.

After last night, Sam hopes Kye won't ask him any more questions that he has no answer to. Sam feels guilty, partly because he was there when Bobby revealed his plan to him and Dean, and partly—as strange as it sounds— because he was the one who carried Kye to their jeep at the exchange.

Sam remembers how it stayed with him that a grown human could be that light. The girl was skin and bone. Ruby is small but sturdy, unlike Kye.
Sam was afraid he would break her if he moved in any wrong way.