Chapter 13. A new day

Kye has been washing the same piece of cloth for almost an hour. Her mind is somewhere else entirely. She stares at her distorted reflection in the water, wondering the same question she has asked herself from the moment she woke up.

What is he doing?

It's been 3 days since that night she was with Michael. It has been hard. Somehow, seeing him once then having to say goodbye again, with nothing but his promise to be there soon, is way harder than not seeing him at all. It is gut-wrenching and Kye just can't seem to focus on anything.

Ruby has been quiet, sleeping 12 hours a day and waking up only for a few spoons of liquid food or medicine time. She gave Kye a dirty look that day when Kye got back but didn't say anything. Kye didn't think Ruby knew that she was gone all night, but she was not sure.

That night in the forest was the first time in months Kye had a dreamless 5-hour sleep. It felt so good, being wrapped up in the protective arms of someone she loved, surrounded by his scent and soothing voice.

Even when she didn't speak his language at all, somehow she could understand. It spoke directly to her heart and soul. Everything felt so much like a dream that she just wanted to fall deeper into and never wake up from. She was afraid that when she opened her eyes, it would disappear like a cruel, vivid illusion her mind had somehow whipped up.

"Wake up. It's time."

The archangel's voice rang in her dream. Kye smiled but tears rolled out of her eyes.

"Please...5 more minutes. Michael, don't go..."

It broke the archangel's heart but also made him very happy. She needed him, just as much as he needed her. This was only another goodbye and he would do everything in his power to make it a very swift one, for both of their sakes.

"I'm here," he kissed her forehead and watched her eyes slowly blinked open.

He had been sitting like this all night, never once moved or changed position. All he wanted to do was stay with her and watch over her for eternity. The sight of Kye sleeping in his arms filled him with so much joy and peace that in millennia guarding the realms, he was surprised that nothing even came remotely close.

Kye was looking at him owlishly at the moment like she had never seen him before. Her eyes were dewy, full of awe and confusion. Then suddenly, she sat straight up and threw her arms around his neck, squeezing it hard. She would've choked him to death if he actually needed the oxygen to survive.

"It's ok, I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere."

He held her head steady next to his while combing through her soft brown hair. His voice was so calming that finally, Kye relaxed and loosened the grip around his neck.

"You're right here," she whispered.

"Yes, I am, and you are too."

Michael closed his eyes and inhaled the scent of her hair. He tried his best not to give in to his heart's desire and just teleport back to the city with her right there and then. He couldn't wait for all of this to be over.

"I don't care about the Resistance, but I think it's time for you to go back and give Bobby Singer the news. That way he can relax a little and not lock you up day and night."

"He doesn't lock me up," Kye chuckles. "Bobby is a good man. He just tries to protect everyone. He will be happy with the news."

Kye smiled while touching Michael's face. Suddenly, the smile was wiped off her face.