Chapter 5: A Quick Battle

Cynthia brings out Gabite, who's feeling all patched up and ready to go after being healed in the Pokemon Center. She bursts from the Pokeball and stomps proudly onto the floor. You take out Pupitar, equally hyped up for this battle after he evolved, excited to use his new move in battle. Both let out their best roar and ready themselves for the fight.

"Gabite, use Dragon Claw!"

She closes in towards Pupitar at surprisingly quick speeds, readying her claw to slash at him.

"Use Rock Slide to cancel it out, Pupitar!"

Pupitar follows your orders, digging out large rocks and making them fall from above Gabite, some of them hitting their mark and forcing her to reel back to rethink her moves.

"That was pretty good, [Y/N]! Use Bite once you're up close, Gabite!"

"Thanks! You're great at this, too. Pupitar, brace yourself and use Bulldoze!"

He tightens his shell and takes the Bite, taking a good amount of damage, but retaliates with Bulldoze, making an audible crack on the now broken floor. You hope you won't have to pay for the repairs.

"Don't let up, and use Dragon Claw again!"

Looks like Cynthia's taking this pretty seriously, and boy is she good at battling. Gabite grabs Pupitar by his spikes and slashes at him with her own, nearly knocking him down. But this is what you both have been waiting for.

"Now, use Payback!"

Pupitar covers himself in that dark aura again and tackles Gabite, knocking her down for the count. Looks like this move is more powerful if you use it after the opponent.

With Gabite knocked out, Cynthia sends her Togepi next. The little creature still has remnants of its egg on it, and doesn't look intimidating in the slightest. Especially the fact that it doesn't even try to, almost completely unassuming.

"Alright, Togepi, use Metronome!"

It waves its little hand around, picking a random move to use. Neither you nor Pupitar thought much of it. There's only a small chance it would pick anything useful.

"Energy Ball!"

Energy WHAT!? Crap, Pupitar is extremely weak against grass type moves! How did it pick something so convenient!? Before you can tell Pupitar to dodge it, he's already been hit by the attack, knocking him down and keeping him there. Despite this, he still tries to get up and get back into fighting form. He can't even keep himself upright, tripping down every few steps. You know how much he wants this, but you know better than to risk his health more than he needs to. Especially in a pupa stage.

"Pupitar, that's enough. You won against Gabite, didn't you? Return."

Though he's still raring to fight, Pupitar obeys your orders and gets back into his Pokeball. It's alright, buddy. You did great.

"You still have a Pokemon, right? Why not bring it out? C'mon, I'm having a lot of fun!"

She lights up and starts twiddling her hair accessory-things; visibly trying to hold back her glee. She's doing a pretty good job of it too, if not for the fact that you know her little quirks that show when she's in a good mood. And Arceus be damned, it is adorable. But even if you're hesitant to let her down, you can't let Ralts fight yet. She was, quite literally, born yesterday. So the only thing you can do right now is:

"I give up. You win this one, Cynthia. My second Pokemon is too weak to do much, even against Togepi. Sorry."

"O-oh. Well, I don't want you to feel obligated if your Pokemon can't fight anymore. I'm just feeling really excited about it. Sorry for getting carried away..."