Chapter 4: In the darkness

"Come here Erunestian ..." Said a female voice calling me sweetly.

My body was heavy and totally dejected, as if it had taken a tremendous beating the day before. So I tried to ignore it and continued sleeping.

"Erunestian ..." She insisted.

The voice seemed familiar to me. I wanted to know who it was that was calling my name, so I opened my eyes. But everything was so dark, I didn't know if my eyes were really open. I blinked many times and still couldn't see anything. I began to despair; I listened to the sound of the waves crashing on the shore. I felt the sand below me, the sun burning high above and the wind blowing on my forehead.

"I'm out of the water!" I thought. "If I don't come back soon, I will die!"

I tried to move to go towards the sea again. But my body didn't respond the way I wanted.

"What's wrong with me!?"

I touched my face; my skin was dry and had a totally different texture. My hands also felt different, my fingers were no longer linked by a membrane. I touched my head, and oh! Was I surprised to feel it all full of hair! And of course, my tail, instead I had a pair of legs that I obviously didn't know how to use. Then I remembered all my adventure the day before. I remembered it completely until the moment Xenea took my eyes and I lost consciousness from lack of air. I didn't know where I was now, or how I got there.

I remained like that, painfully lying over the sand. I was stunned, my head was spinning and my heart was beating like crazy. I was also scared by that heavy breathing I was having. We, the people of the sea, never breathe so fast.

"Help!"I screamed in my thoughts. At that moment countless depressing ideas began to come to my mind. At the sea, I am a respected prince, skillful and brave. But at that moment, on earth, I was nobody, I didn't even know how to stand up and walk, or utter a single word. I felt like the biggest fool in the whole ocean.

"Calm down Erunestian." Said the voice. "You are safe. I have taken care of you."

"Who are you?" I asked with my thoughts.

"You do not remember me? We used to be friends when you were little."

"Cyrene !? Is that really you? It's been so long! ... What a relief and what a joy you are here! Please help me, I can't move."

Cyrene is a mermaid, the only one truly gentle and kind. I can still remember her even though so many years have passed since I last saw her. Her face was very beautiful, always smiling and gentle, her hair dark, long and beautiful; she wore it tucked behind her head. The scales on her tail were silver like the moon, and her chest was always wrapped in white cloth. She used to bring me beautiful seashells. It was really nice spending time with her; she took care of me and taught me many things. But as I grew older, she came to see me less often. Until one day she definitely stopped coming. I kept her visits a secret since no one could know that I was her friend.

"You don't achieve anything by being scared. You must learn to control your new body and take care of yourself." She said sweetly.

Mermaids can change their shape between birds, fish and women. I remember many times seeing Cyrene appear before me in the form of a very beautiful silver fish. But this time, I was sure that she had taken the form of a woman. I felt her take gentle steps and approach me. I was filled with calm knowing that she would come to my aid. She sat next to me and caressed my forehead tenderly.

"Come on Erunestian, you too sit like me. You can do it."With great difficulty I obeyed her and I was very happy to have succeeded. Smiling, Cyrene continued. "I am here to show you how to live in this world and make you reborn as a human."