Chapter 28 Part 2

Shane

Shane

Dad was calling me but I didn't pick up. I knew I would break down if I talk. We were on our way to the hospital. Bryon didn't say anything nor did I. I was waiting to reach the hospital as fast as I can.

I didn't wait for Bryon as soon as we reach and I ran my way up to her room. I open the door to see Mom and Dad sitting with her. Her eyes were at the door indicating she was waiting for me. A smile appears on her face as she sees me.

I enter the room. "We will leave you two alone," Dad said softly and they left us. I walk to her and sit opposite her in her bed carefully not messing up with the several pipes and tubes poked at her.
After a few moments of silence, she says my name softly. "Shane..."

I couldn't look at her knowing I would break down any second. Knowing that I would have to leave her when this gets over. She envelops my hands in her soft tiny hands. Her hand-warming my hand as mine were cold. I was not able to speak and then she mumbles. "Shane, I don't know if I survive this but I just wanted to say I Love you and I wanted to wish you a Happy birthday in advance."

I look at her at once. It was the first time I looked directly at her since I arrived in this room. No, she has to fight back. It was so hard to control my tears. I agreed to it but How will I stay away from her?

Her eyes were watering and she bites her lips to control them from flowing. I tighten my grip on her hand."Stop talking about it. Nothing will happen to you. Promise me you will fight for us. You won't give up. You will be here with me and we will celebrate my birthday together. I hope you have prepared a gift for me." I laughed trying to lighten the mood which failed obviously.

Tears were forming in my eyes as my gaze didn't shift her face. This will be hard. Going away from her. She would hate me for this. Moreover, it would break her. I faintly smiled trying to hide my train of thoughts but she knew better.

"What's happening Shane?" She asks and I pull her in a hug as I snuggle closer to her. I rest my head on the crook of her neck inhaling her scent. The natural fruity smell she used to have was mixed with other hospital scents.
I broke down into tears.

She will hate me and the thought made me cry. I was shaken up.
I could hear her muffled cries as her tears wet my shirt. I was going to lose her forever after this.

"It's nothing," I say as she pulled back and wiped my tears but I couldn't stop them. She smiles. There's my Skyler. My strong Skyler I fell in love with. "It's fine. You said yourself there is nothing I can't fight. After I am back we need to get a new dress and a suit. We have to get married after I recover but..."

There cannot be a but. "Yeah. What but? Of course, there is a but..." I knew what she was going to tell me. There is no way I was moving on from her.

"There is a chance I won't make it."
I put a finger on her lips to stop her from completing the sentence. I nod my head as tears stream down my cheeks. You don't know, Skyler. You have to fight for me.