4.

The sweltering mid-afternoon sun beats down on me as I unload hay from the back of the truck and stack it in the barn, my tan skin slick with sweat and starting to burn a bit.

When I'm finished with the last stack I take a seat on it, taking a break while finding sweet relief in the shade of the barn. Grabbing my nearby water bottle, I guzzle half the contents inside. I remove my cap from my head, shaking out my dark sweaty hair, and pour the rest of the water over my head, letting it run down my bare back and chest. Mama always yells at me for not wearing a shirt on days like this, scared I'll blister from the sun, but I absolutely hate the farmers tan look.

After five minutes I force myself up, walking past Tucker who's happily snoozing inside the barn, despite the ungodly temperatures. I go back to the truck, putting up the tailgate before contemplating on what chore to do next.

Just as I'm walking back to the barn I hear the crunching of gravel, indicating that someone is coming down the driveway. I look over my shoulder at the black Range Rover rolling up, knowing no one from around here has a car that nice. I squint my eyes to try to get a glimpse of the driver through the tinted windshield, but it's no use.

Once the car is parked and the engine shut off, the driver's side door opens and a heel clad foot peeks out from the bottom. Jupe appears from behind the door in a dress as yellow as sunshine, surprising me.

As soon as the car door shuts barking erupts from inside the barn and Tuck comes barreling out like a golden flash, wagging his tail excitedly.

Some guard dog, I think.

He immediately runs up to Jupe, panting and circling her as his back end wiggles uncontrollably. Before I can catch him, he jumps up, trying to kiss her face.

"Tuck!" I scold. "Sit!"

He sits immediately but reluctantly, looking up at Jupe with those big brown eyes and goofy smile, practically begging her to pet him. A few eager whines escape him, and I know he's dying for attention from the new person at our home.

"Sorry about that," I apologize breathlessly, running up to them.

"That's okay." Jupe giggles, smiling down at Tuck and scratching his head. "Hi, Tuck," she coos.

I watch the pair for a moment, the both of them smiling at each other as if they were long lost friends, taking no time to get acquainted with one another. Jupe has always adored animals, and Tuck is an absolute sucker for some head scratches.

"Uhh, how can I help you, Jupe?" I ask, breaking the moment, confused and a bit dizzy from her unexpected appearance.

Jupe straightens, smoothing out the skirt of her dress. "Barbara asked me to come pick up the photos. I know she was supposed to pick them up from you, but she had something come up so she asked me to come instead. I know I'm a bit early," she trails off sheepishly.

"That's alright," I say, surprised.

It was over a week ago that I took the pictures, and I've had them developed since. I scheduled for Barbara to come pick them up this evening, but I guess she got tied up. I'm surprised Jupe came to pick them up instead of Barbara rescheduling, but maybe she's going to visit her daddy anyway, saving Barbara the trip.

"Yeah, let me just," I thumb behind me at the house. "Give me a minute to grab them," I inform her, turning on my heel and jogging into the house.

I quickly run upstairs and into the bathroom, washing my sweat streaked face and body with a wet hand towel. I dry off, running the towel over my sweaty hair before pulling a T-shirt over my head and grabbing the photos I have printed on my desk in a manila envelope.