Chapter 2: Favorite Things

DINNERTIME

I was sitting at the table with the Von Trapp family, waiting for Maria and I notice that Friedrich has been glancing at me but I look away, admiring the room.

Just then, Maria walks in and takes a seat.

"Good evening. Good evening, children," 

"Good evening, Fraulein Maria," They all say.

Before she sits down, she jumps up and screams, as she laughs. I look at what's on her seat and see a pinecone.

"Enchanting little ritual. Something you, um, learned at the abbey?" Captain asks Maria.

"No, um, it's, um... um..."

"She has rheumatism," I finish for Maria as she sits back down.

They then start to eat but I was waiting to thank the lord.

"Excuse me, Captain. Haven't we forgotten to thank the Lord?" Maria asks as they all stop eating.

"For what we are about to receive, may the Lord make us truly thankful. Amen," Maria finishes.

"Amen,"
"Amen,"

"I'd like to thank each and every one of you for the precious gift you left in my pocket earlier today," Maria said as I notice the children looking at each other, nervously.

"Um, what gift?" The Captain asks with a smile as I smirk silently.

"It's meant to be a secret, Captain, between the children and me," Maria replies.

"Uh-huh. Then I suggest that you keep it and let us eat,"

"Knowing how nervous I must have been, strangers in a new household, knowing how important it was for Y/n and I to feel accepted, it was so kind and thoughtful of you to make our first moments here so warm and happy and pleasant," Maria said as she looked at me with a smile before eating.

Then Marta started to cry.

"What is the matter, Marta?" Her father asked.

"Nothing,"

Then Louisa started crying and before you know it, they were all crying.

"Fraulein, is it to be at every meal, or merely at, uh, dinnertime, that you intend leading us all through this rare and wonderful new world of indigestion?" The Captain asked Maria as she looks at the children.

"Don't worry, Captain. They are just happy," I said with a smile, making them cry louder.

TIME SKIP

I was getting ready for bed when I went to Maria's room to pray with her but then the thunder comes.

"Come on, Y/n. Let's pray," She said as we both go the bed and pray.

"Dear Father, now I know why you've sent Y/n and I here. To help these children prepare themselves for a new mother. And we pray that this will become a happy family in thy sight. God bless the Captain. God bless Liesl and Friedrich. God bless Louisa, Brigitta, Marta and little Gretl. And, oh,  forgot the other boy. What's his name? Well, God bless what's-his-name. God bless the reverend mother and Sister Margaretta..."

I then notice Liesl climbing in from the window.

Liesl looks at me with shock before silently running pass Maria and running towards the door.

"And everybody at Nonnberg Abbey," she said as she notices Luisa.

"And now, dear God, about Liesl--Help her to know that Y/n and I are her friend. And help her tell us what's she's been up to," Maria continues, making Liesl stop at the door and turning towards us.