An Unforgettable Letter

*Hades* 

I was not too happy at first to see Hermes abruptly arrive once again. However, the letter held within him outstretched hand appeared intriguing for some reason, clasped closed with an unfamiliar seal. 

This was not from Zeus, the only God that sends anything to me the rare occasion.

I wordlessly take it from Hermes as he stares at me suspiciously. I have to admit he is never afraid to look at me with displeasure whenever he is here, and I have to admire his courage for that. However, I have no idea what I've done to offend him now. Exist?

"Will that be all?" I say finally, as I open the letter carefully.

"Yes, sir." He bows and takes his reluctant leave. He wanted to watch me read it for some reason...but I will not until he is out of my sight for that exact reason out of spite. 

To my surprise, my heart begins to beat quickly when I see that it is from Persephone. My first fear is that she is sending a letter so quickly to voice her regret. Why else would she send something so urgently?

A dreadful lump in my throat forms instantly as I begin to read. However, soon my heart is beating hard for an entirely different reason. 

"Hades...

I want you to know what's going on up here without too much trouble, so I will write to you and send Hermes as often as I can. I trust him to deliver them to you without questioning things due to his loyalty to me. He does not necessarily have loyalty to you, as I'm sure you understand, but please trust him to do right by me if not for you.

Besides this, I want you to know that I cannot stop thinking about you even as you've just left me. Your dark hair...your strong arms and chest. I cannot tell you how attracted to you I am every time I see you...the power of your presence, your captivating dark eyes, and chiselled jaw...I never imagined being so drawn to someone of your origin, but now I don't know how it could have ended up any other way. You are everything I am missing from my current life, and I hope I am the same for you.

I hope our connection only becomes more powerful once I am down there with you, and you can teach me even more...I have so much to learn about the world and how to be the woman I want to be for you...to be a pleasing wife for you. I look forward to what you have to show me as my husband as well...

When I arrive to the Underworld, I want you to show me. I want you to take me-" 

My eyes abruptly leave the paper in shock...but pleased shock. They return back to see her detail exactly how she imagines for me to consummate our union. The girl's sudden boldness is truly showing unapologetically.

Completely stunned, I close the letter up carefully and tuck it away discreetly. I know I must return to my duties now, but I know for certain what will be on my mind for the next few hours. The damn woman is going to have me up all night thinking about it...

Now, time to put this at the back of my mind...somehow.

How does one do that? 

*Persephone* 

The following days, I get myself ready with the hope that would be the day I would see Hades again and this nightmare would finally be over. I knew that the chances increased each and every day, but that there was never a guarantee of a timeline. It could be days, it could be weeks, it could be months...I hoped with all my heard it would not be a year. Though, I'm sure Apollo would grow too impatient by that point to tolerate my stalling any longer. Demeter would tolerate it even less. 

Every few days, I write to him as well and meet Hermes by the lake at the edge of the meadow. He looks forward to seeing me, but the look of disdain never leaves his face when I finally hand him the sealed letter he has come to expect. Now and again Hades writes back. Some letters are delicately scandalous, and others are gentle reminders that our time will come soon and that I am in his daily thoughts. Either are nice to receive, even if they are handed to me with a disgusted expression and a short lecture from Hermes. 

I take all of his letters and hide them in the false bottom of one of my least used jewelry boxes, stuff in the farthest back corner of my closet. Of course, my mother will find them when she inevitably tears my room apart when I do not return home one day...but I hope I will be long gone by that point and out of her reach. 

As usual for most days, I have to tolerate another walk with Apollo today. He will be showing me his glorious chariot, the source of his pride. It's exceptionally early today for that purpose so that I can come along with him as the sun rises. 

I am thrilled to experience something like that, and for once, I might be able to spend most of our visit simply looking at the world rather than engaging in tired conversation. I might smile for real and not have to force it! I have to admit...it might not be the best day for Hades to come. It might be too overwhelming of a day if he does now. 

I wonder if he will know what I am doing today? Can he see me all the way up there in the sky? How often can he see what I am doing at all? Does he have a spy looking out for him, or does he come himself? I have so many questions...but I'm sure I'll know the answer one day and we'll have lots to catch up on. 

I leave home with my mother still in bed for once. Apollo is waiting for me in the meadow, with his golden chariot and white horses ready. I can't help but smile at the adventure I am about to embark on. I'm sure he thinks the smile is for him, but it doesn't matter. 

I'll take every opportunity to see what I can of the world before I go beneath it to the Underworld...and I will enjoy it. 

Soon the horses are rushing forward, and the air is flowing through my hair. The breath nearly leaves my lungs as the blue sky comes closer. I look below only for a moment before I am mesmerized by the up-close sight of the sun itself. I can't help but gasp in awe of its warmth, and glorious light radiating through me from head to toe. 

Apollo smiles at me silently before looking forward and continuing with his job while I am left to watch in amazement.

I have never felt more energized...almost as if I am fueled by the sun itself. I appreciate it all the more, knowing I am not sure how little more chances I have to enjoy it before my life changes forever.