16: Refreshment

Ayo guess who just finished her first year of college? Also thank you guys so much for 10k!

You cracked your eyes open to the new dim light streaming in across your closed eyelids, followed by a sweet aroma filling your nostrils. Your visuals were blurred for the first few seconds after your much-needed rest. You had a blink a few times to clear up the image of the reaching arm before you holding out something in front of your face. It took you even longer to register that you were still laying sprawled out under the covers in the center of a mattress that wasn't yours.

Raising your hands from beside your head to rub your eyes the rest of the way open, you let out a deep exhale. When you turned your head again to process a more clarified view of what stood to your right, your eyes first landed on the teacup resting on a saucer being held out for you. You gazed past the dish at the sleeved arm extending from it, clothed by loose dark robes, before your stare met the glow of irises above eyeing you with a lifted brow.

"I take it you slept well?" Pitch remarked with a tinge of sarcasm. You were looking him up and down with lips parted, the rest of your head still waking up. His robes hung from his shoulders so the center of his chest was still partially exposed. You noticed he had his own cup in his other hand being held for himself as he waited patiently for you to take the one being shown to you. Fully realizing, you then set your palms down with disregard of the pins and needles within from their partial numbness thanks to your positioning, and you pushed yourself to sit upright in bed. You propped yourself against the headboard and the silk pillows in front of it, having forgotten up until now that you had stayed all night in these chambers.

Finally, you reached over to take the cup and saucer into your hands. You gazed down at it while resting it in your lap, staring at the orange-ish dyed water from the little bag of herbs resting inside as the heat from the liquid radiated from the glass and warmed your palms.

"Chamomile," Pitch spoke from your right, still standing off to the side with his own morning tea in hand. And he had made some for you?     

You pressed your lips together. "Surprised it's not black tea," you joked groggily. He gave the small glass in his hold a small lift in response, possibly as a gesture to that being what his beverage contained. You lifted your steaming cup to your lips to take a tiny sip as he began talking again.

"You ended up turning over in the middle of the night and taking up a majority of the space," he remarked. Your tea hit the tip of your tongue and scorched it, making you flinch back a bit. You looked back up at him with raised brows from his words. Taking in the sight of the freshly dark circles under his eyes, your mouth hung open for a moment.

"...Sorry," you managed to murmur while shrinking a little, facing your head back to your tea. You formed your lips into another line to try to keep yourself from chuckling. From the corner of your eye, you noticed Pitch shake his head and look off to the side before brushing away the event.

"It's nothing significant."

You awaited your drink to cool a bit, and as you did so, the Nightmare King began approaching you from his standing spot until he set himself on the edge of the mattress. The newly applied pressure beside you on the bed caused you to lean slightly to that right side from your position at the upper center against the headboard, but you were quick to adjust yourself to reobtain comfort.

After taking another sip of your less-boiling tea, you decided to speak again. "I hope that none of this was inconvenient at all to you," you added. He was looking over his shoulder to frown at you.

"How do you mean?"

"Me staying here." You nodded toward the rest of the bedroom, trying not to flash a hint of embarrassment. At this, Pitch chuckled softly.