31: Soaring

*November*

The dim daylight pooling into the lair began pouring into your eyes as you cracked them open. It was almost sharper, and you had to squint your eyelids for a moment to blur the new sting of your pupils adjusting as if they were working for the first time. Your deep intake of air filled you with the enhanced scents of the nearby musky caverns paired with something sweet. There was a dryness in your mouth that took a few swallows to surpass. You did not realize a faint ringing could be heard in your ears momentarily before it faded away. You brought your hands up to rub the sleep from the inner corners of your eyes, stretching your legs out in your laying position beneath the warmth of the covers that embraced you. Dust particles cleared from the air before your vision as you opened your eyes the rest of the way. You glanced around the room, staring up at the ceiling of the bedchamber before trailing your sight down the walls at either side of you. When they fell upon the towering figure standing to your right is when a soft gasp passed your lips.

You sat up in the mattress that you remained in, bringing one of the dark silk sheets up with you to press against the chest of your bare body. The pang of the few bruises dotting your inner thighs and marked shoulders met with a certain soreness in your core from the previous night’s extracurriculars awakened with you (and that was with him holding back). You were not frightened by the sight of him at your side, but rather a fresh rush of adrenaline coursed through your veins at a pace which you could not yet control.

“Easy does it,” Pitch eased. “Your senses will be heightened for a while and your energy may be reaching its peak, but you’ll settle into it.”

You sunk a bit into where you sat in the bed, glancing away. Your mortal future had been expanded infinitely, no longer making you mortal. You were like him now - still human technically - but an immortal like the spirits you knew well; a ghost to those who never knew you. The change had taken to you in your slumber and was now racing through your bloodstream. The ring on your finger to symbolize your matrimony to one of those spirits was the cherry on top of the already delightful treat.

“How do you feel?” Pitch asked. You looked over his way again. It was only then that you registered his full appearance standing at your bedside, wearing nothing but his usual equine britches. A smile was already creeping up on your already flushed face while eyeing his unclothed chest. You stared back up into those hypnotic eclipse-like irises.

“Much better,” you answered softly.

“Better now that you have that information?”

“Better now that I get to wake up like this every morning from now on,” you corrected sweetly. “But that too.”

Pitch’s gaze relaxed. The title of an immortal queen as well as wife both had satisfying ringing sounds to them. You then pursed your lips as the need for a fresher start to the morning struck you, not wanting to be going around with dried sweat and whatever else seeped within your pores.

“Although, I could use a shower.”

“Do try not to be long,” Pitch replied with a familiar sly smirk hinting at him hiding something tugging at his lips. “I may have something more to show you after.”

You study him up and down, impressed. “I thought I had seen it all at this point.”

He began stepping away to make way for you to start getting up while still watching your movements. “Oh, darling, we’re just getting started.”

As you swung your legs over the side of the bed, you wrapped the blanket you held to yourself around you the rest of the way. You then brought yourself to your feet, the coolness of the pale stone sending a chill up your spine while you padded toward the doorway of the bedchamber. The sheet dragged behind you while you walked much like Pitch’s usual robes. After you passed his form that had stepped aside for you, you took a few more steps until you paused at the set of doors. You swung around to meet eyes with the Nightmare King again. You flashed him a puzzled look, knowing silently in your mind that this was your turn to be the tease and put your new status to good use first thing in the morning.