Roxanne

Slumped against the jagged brick wall, Manon squeezed her swollen eyes shut then opened them as wide as she could, numbness and silence coursed through her. A refreshing drizzle of rain cooled her balmy cheeks. Drifting in and out of focus, she mustered up the strength to hoist herself up. With bowed shoulders, Manon shoved her trembling hands in her coat pockets and set off to the closest convenience store, she was in dire need of a smoke.

A bell tinkled as she flung open the convenience store door. She proceeded up and down the narrow aisles- passing over-the-counter medications, packaged snacks, and candy. Jackpot... Manon located the limited wine selection hidden on a dingy back shelf. She gawked at the two wine bottles staring back at her, she grabbed both and made her way to the front counter.

The cashier warily glimpsed at the condition Manon was in.

"Two packs of Marlboro Reds, please," Manon mumbled softly, shifting her weight impatiently from one leg to another.

"Thirty-four, fifty" croaked the solemn cashier.

"Keep the change," Manon assured the middle-aged man. Narrowing her eyebrows as she began fidgeting with the plastic packaging of the cigarette carton.

The bell tinkled as she exited the store- still preoccupied with her cigarettes, Manon collided with a brawny figure.

"Shit, my bad," Manon faltered. Shuffling hastily out the door, paying no attention to who she bumped into.

"Manon?" questioned a perplexed voice.

Manon stopped in her tracks, closed her eyes, and quietly groaned in exasperation. 

"Hey, Bowman," Manon uttered restlessly, avoiding eye contact whilst she raised a cigarette to her cracked lips, covering the smoke and flame with her quivering hand. She pressed the end of the cigarette to her lips, then exhaled. Relief.

Bowman Cooper's eyes narrowed in concern, he didn't need to say anything. Manon knew what he was thinking. 

"I was walking in the rain, I'm fine. I'll see you on campus... My family is expecting me." 

 "I wish you wouldn't do that. Technically, you know you're not allowed to..." Bowman implored taking a defensive stand. 

Manon took a prolonged drag of her smoke, disdain in her eyes "You know I detest small talk, Bowman," shooting him a satirical wink, then swiveled on her heels and began the restorative walk back to Maxwell Manor.

Bowman would forgive her for her curt behavior, he did all the time. Bowman liked to think he knew Manon better than herself- he presumably did know Manon better than she did. He understood she was hurting and incapable of saying so. 

Manon entered the somber Manor- to her dismay, thrilled chatter was emitting from the parlor room. She heard a distinct voice, there was only one unique individual she knew that exhibited an inviting voice.

Joining the others in the parlor, Manon was greeted with a bear hug from cousin Roxanne. Cousin Roxanne was Papa's first cousin on his Mama's side. A tall slender, beguiling figure that would grace a cover of a 1950s Vogue magazine. Invariably conveying herself with grace and poise. 

Embracing one another, Manon was submerged in a swell of warm sandalwood and fresh lavender. Manon melted in her arms like butter on toast. Manon felt like she was home... She hadn't identified with that caliber of warmth in a very long time. 

"How I've missed you... Please forgive me for being absent." Roxanne whispered into Manon's ear. Embracing her even tighter. Manon closed her sleep-deprived eyes for what felt like mere seconds- she was instantaneously taken aback.  An unfocused, grey scenery engulfed  Manonon's vision- a jolt of agony seethed through Manon causing her to jerk wide awake. 

"Manon?" Roxanne immediately tore herself from Manon's grip. Manon was wobbly on her feet for one or two seconds. 

"Sorry, I'm knackered." Manon tried playing it off pushing her hair behind her ears. Cousin Roxanne was sensible and played along.

"Anyone fancy a drink?" Roxanne chimed.

"Me! please..." Manon sighed, relieved. Removing the bottles of red wine from her cheap convenience store sack.

"Carpe Vinum!" Oliver squealed forcefully breaking his way between Manon and Roxanne.