Party Planning

Sarah had barely marched ten feet from the library doors before running smack into Chiara. 

"Sorry, Chiara!" she stammered, grabbing her friend's arm to prevent her from stumbling backward. "My mind was a million miles away."

"That's alright," she said, straightening the shoulders of her gray shirt. "Where are you off to in such a hurry, anyway?"

"I'm looking for people to help me set up the ball," said Sarah. 

"You convinced Pince to loosen up, then?"

Sarah nodded. "But I've got a short time to turn this party from drab to fab, as Andre would say."

Chiara chuckled. "Can I help?"

"Absolutely! Do you like music?"

"I mean, who doesn't?"

"What would be a good music option for everyone? Something fun for the students, but tasteful enough that madam Pince would approve?"

Chiara thought for a moment. "What about a classy string quartet?" she asked. "I can ask Flitwich to help me charm some instruments to play the students' favorite songs."

"Brilliant!"

The girls chatted for a few minutes about song selections. 

"Do you think you could get them to play 'Do the Hippogriff?'" Sarah asked. 

Chiara laughed. "We can certainly try. I'll go find Flitwick now."

"Great," said Sarah. "That's music checked. What is the next most important thing?"

"Food?" guessed Chiara. 

"Food! I'll go find Jae in the kitchens. Thanks for everything, Chiara!" Sarah called as the turned and hurried off. 

***

"Don't tell me Pince has gotten you in detention for harping on about her boring party," said Jae, looking up from the large pot he was having to clean without magic as she joined him. 

"Nope. In fact, I got her to agree to a ball that's more befitting of this century," said Sarah. 

"Excellent! I never doubted you."

"Uh-huh. Anyway, I need your help. There were no refreshments planned, so we've got until tomorrow to come up with something perfect for a fairytale romance theme."

"That's not exactly gonna be easy," Jae groaned. 

"Which is why I came to the best cook I know," said Sarah. "Will you help me or not?"

"Alight," said Jae. "I suppose we have time to whip up some fairy cakes. I could decorate the tops to look like fairy wings and toadstools."

"Brilliant," said Sarah. 

"Has Sarah Spellman been given detention again?" Pitts had stomped over and was staring her down accusingly.

"No, Pitts. I actually came to ask your permission to use the kitchens to make treats for the upcoming ball."

"Pitts thought Madam Pince wasn't wanting refreshments."

"She's changed her mind. Now, she wants fairytale themed treats that will delight all the guests."

"But Jae Kim has just finished the washing up."

Jae sighed. "I'll do it again afterwards."

"Fine," Pitts growled. "The elves will help prepare the food for the party."