Time for a Ball

The Great Hall, always a stunning a sight, was almost totally unrecognizable. Badeea and the others had worked enough magic to make Dumbledore proud. 

the stone floor had been transfigured into a mossy covered pathway of heart-shaped stones, occasionally lighting up pink, leading the way to the dance floor. The walls were draped in purple tapestry, depicting beautiful trees straight out of a storybook, along with painted and real rose decorations every few feet. 

The four house tables had been replaced with two long tables, one on either side of the room, with wooden chairs that were carved to resemble trees and table runners that matched the walls. Jae's sweets hovered a foot or two above the tables, and students seated there simply plucked what they wanted from the air. 

At the end of the hall was the dance floor--a large square of grass, surrounded by chocolate fountains and statues of cherubs. 

Above it all, the mural hung, lit by the lights of nearly a hundred fairies (Sarah had no idea how Barnaby had managed to track down and entice that many). Everyone had to stop and enjoy the mural for a moment. Badeea had enchanted it so it moved like the other portraits in Hogwarts; the unicorn tossed its head and pawed with its hoof, the fairies bounced about, the squire bowed to the lovely queen, and the queen smiled down at him with blushing cheeks. 

The string quartet sat below the mural, playing soft background music as the students congregated into the hall. 

Sarah spotted several of her friends looking up at the mural, and made to join them until she caught Barnaby's eyes and he walked over to meet her. 

"Wow," he said, looking her up and down. "You look--I mean..."

Sarah laughed. "Have you forgotten how to speak again, B?"

"Yes. No!" He stammered. "I just...don't have the words to describe how amazing you look. I guess 'amazing' works. But it's not enough."

"Thank you," she said. "You're looking very handsome as well. But you always do."

Barnaby was wearing black trousers and trainers, as well as a fetching red, leather jacket.

"Hey, we match!" she said, pointing to his t-shirt. Andre had fashioned it with the same rose pattern that made up her dress. 

"Excellent!" said Barnaby. "Now if I get lost, I can just ask people to lead me to the beautiful girl in the dress that looks like this!" He pointed to his shirt. 

Sarah laughed. "Well, we shouldn't have to worry about that. I don't think I'll be able to take my eyes off you tonight." 

She usually preferred him in his Slytherin colors, but she found the black shirt and red jacket quite attractive. 

Grinning, Barnaby looked around at the hall. "You did an amazing job with the ball, by the way. I don't see how it could have turned out better!"

"I had a lot of help from my friends," she said. "Including you. The fairy lights might be my favorite part."

"My favorite part so far is that dress," he blurted, before blushing furiously. "I mean, all the outfits. Andre did a good job."

Sarah chuckled. "So did Jae with the food. Should we go try it?"

Barnaby nodded. "Good idea."

They were interrupted before they reached the refreshment table by Pince and Filch. Filch was wearing the suit Andre had made him, Mrs. Norris at his heels in a bowtie. Pince was wearing dark robes similar to what she usually wore, but she'd pinned a rose each to her robes and on the band of her hat. The most striking part of her appearance was the smile on the face, which melted away the cold she usually carried with her wherever she went.