Valentine's Day

As Sarah approached the grove in the forest where she knew several fairies lived, she heard a familiar voice that caused her very bones to smile.

"Okay, one more time. The letter 'S' looks like this."

Sarah walked around a tree to see Barnaby standing in the middle of the grove, his arms held out like a child pretending to be an ancient Egyptian. He was bathed in yellow, blue, and pink lights from the surrounding fairies. They shimmered beautifully as they fluttered about and pruned themselves; Sarah realized they'd be the perfect addition to the ball.

"Barnaby?"

He spun around. "Sarah!" He held his arms out, as if to block her view from the dozens of bright beings floating in the air.

"What are you doing?"

"Nothing! I just...well...uh..." He glanced back at the fairies, then dropped his arms to his sides and his head to his chest. "I'm sorry I forgot about Valentine's Day."

Sarah stepped forward and tilted his head up to look at her. "That's okay, B. I forgot, too. There was just...so much else going on."

He grabbed her hands. "I know! That's why you deserve a really special Valentine's Day. But, I've botched things up again. I thought maybe for a present I could get the fairies to spell out 'Happy Valentine's Day, Sarah,' but I've had no luck."

Sarah had to giggle. "You were trying to teach fairies to spell?"

"Should've realized I couldn't do it. I can barely spell myself."

"I don't think it's possible," said Sarah. "But I really appreciate the gesture. And anyway, you've done far more for me this Valentine's Day than I have for you."

"That's not true!" he said at once. "You're fixing the whole party for us. I can't wait to see how gorgeous you look tomorrow, and to dance with you, and hold you close..."

He pulled her close now, smiling at the bashful expression she always donned when she glanced around to see if anyone could see them.

"Does that mean you'd like me to go to the ball with you?" she asked. 

"Of course! Even if it wasn't Valentine's Day, I'd want to spend the whole day with you."

"The holiday really snuck up on us, didn't?  Though I suppose time has been weird ever since...December."

Barnaby nodded solemnly. "I usually know when its Valentine's Day, because I get loads of chocolates and cards and stuff. But not this time."

"I guess everyone's finally realized that I'm the one you want," she said, though inwardly she lamented that she hadn't had the time to get Barnaby so much as a single chocolate frog. 

He smiled. "I should have thought that was obvious. Has been since our first dance at the Celestial Ball."

He reached down and kissed her, several slow, sweet kisses, until the nearby fairies buzzed angrily at the lack of attention they were receiving. 

"Yes, yes, you're all beautiful too," said Barnaby, causing them twirl in the air in delight. 

"Could you do me a favor?" Sarah asked him. 

"Anything. Well, unless it involves spelling. I think I've had enough of that for one day."

"Do you think you could convince a few dozen of these fairies to follow you up to the Great Hall tomorrow before the dance?"

He grinned. "Definitely! That's much easier than spelling."

He tried to kiss her again, but Sarah swatted at his chest playfully. "We should get back to the castle before Filch catches us out after dark. After all the work I've put into this ball, I better be allowed to go."