CHAPTER 1

Chapter 1: The First of Many

"Another one?" Des stood beside me as I took a deep drag from my cig. "Yep," I rubbed my eyes and stretched. "Another one." "It'll get easier," she rubbed my arm, "I promise. We're doing the right thing," she smiled at me. "I know, you wouldn't lie to me," I pulled her closer to me and placed a soft kiss on her lips. "What was his name?" she asked, pulling out a notebook. "Got a new one?" I asked, and she nodded. "Ran out of room in the last one, so name?" she asked, and I opened the wallet of the last guy.

"His name was Xavier Williams," I read from his I.D., "he was twenty-six years old," I then tossed his wallet in the fire we had crackling. He's not going to need it again, I thought. Poor kid, he didn't deserve the end he received.

"Are you alright?" Des brought me back and I nodded. "I'll be better in the morning."

NEXT DAY

"Morning losers," James walked in, throwing a six pack of beer on the couch and opening one for himself. "Morning, how did you get these?" Des smiled up at her little brother as she snatched his open can. "Fake I.D.," he chuckled as she drunk his drink and he grabbed another one. "Thanks, bro," she winked as she came beside me. "Ready for tonight?" she asked, and I shrugged.

"As ready as we'll ever be," I stood and helped her up as we packed our gear.

"So, there's been a series of calls of the infected in this area," Elena walked in from her office. We were staying in her cramped apartment but some-how she had enough room for her office. I rolled my eyes at my thought as we listened to her. She pointed at a city on the map, "It looks like it's pretty close to Ellensburg, Washington," she then turned to look at her I-pad, "which is pretty far from here, maybe at least a six-hour drive if we don't stop to rest." "How much are we looking at?" I asked, and she sighed. "So far, I have recorded seven different phone calls of gangs or mobs, I'm not sure of the specific word they use to associate with a group of them." "Let's call them a pack, it's not like they're not hunting us," James spoke up and Des nodded. "The more we disassociate them from us the better, we call them packs or it," she sipped on her drink and Elena nodded, pushing up her glasses. "I think we should start sampling them for research purposes as well. It's been going on for years now, we need answers on how to stop this from growing." "How do you plan on doing this?" Des asked and Elena grinned.

"Ok, we know once bitten or scratched the poison or infection enters the bloodstream of the infected and they have give or take twelve hours to turn. We need to collect the saliva of an infected person once they've turned." "So, we have to gather this research while the victim is being attacked or risk bringing the infected into our close quarters?" James asked, and Elena nodded.

"I've never seen an attack happen personally, none of us have we just deal with the repercussions, that's all our job is, Elena." I shocked everyone with my speaking up, I usually stayed quiet during our meetings.

"I know, I know wrong department, but it's not like they are a lot of us left. Meaning people that are going to go out and risk their lives for the sake of humanity. We only know so little of this epidemic." "The lest we know the safer it is, we can't risk that. We are pity killers and that's it," I stood my ground and she bit her tongue. "Monte," Des followed me out of the room, "Are you sure you're ok?" she asked, and I nodded.

"Yes, babe," I kissed her hand and she cupped my face. "Take deep breaths, relax," she looked me in my eyes and I began to relax. "I'm sorry for snapping." "I'm not the one that you should be apologizing to," she smirked, and I groaned. "Fine."

I knocked on Elena's door and waited for a response. "If you're here to belittle me more then you can just go fuck yourself, Monte." "I'm sorry, Elena." "Why do you always turn me away or down in front of everyone? I got you this fucking job and you always seem to screw me over!" she slammed her paper work down and I couldn't help but laugh.

"And now you're laughing at me, get out asshole." "It's just you're so damn funny when you're mad." "I'm glad I amuse you. Now get out, I have to get everything ready for tonight." "Why do you want to research them?" I asked, sitting down on a random pile of stuff.

"You don't care anyway," she folded her arms and eyed me, "but since you seem to pretend to be curious, I guess I can tell you. How long do you think we have left?" "What do you mean? This disease is being controlled. It's only affecting us on a low percentile." "Yeah, last month it was five percent, now it's fifteen. Wake up, Monte. It's happening now, and we need to prepare. How do we know we are still safe? We're scattered now." "Yeah, thanks to you, you thought this would be better. Remember?" I recalled, and she rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, I do admit that, but now I'm concerned." "Why?" I asked, growing concerned, "what has happened?" "I didn't want you to worry, but since you're here; I lost connection with group 4." "When?" I asked, "why didn't you tell us?" "A week ago, because I thought it was just a technical problem but now, I'm not so sure." "Where were they stationed?" I asked, and she bit her lip. "Same place I plan on us going for the pity killings." "So, were you ever going to tell us?" I demanded, and she nodded. "When we got there of course, if we didn't see them. I didn't want the group to worry."

"Elena," I had to control my anger and voice, "you're the brains behind this. What you know you must tell us. We need complete transparency. Remember, communication is how this thing works." "I know, I'm sorry."

"If they're not there it's going to be damn near impossible to track them with a two-week delay." "I said I'm sorry," she huffed, and I ignored her, looking at the paper work. "So, you want to learn research just in case we get infected and you can save us." "We can't lose any more people, especially if you were to get infected."

"I won't," I sighed, and she stopped me. "Everyone looks up to you, Monte. We can't lose you, that can't even be a possibility." "Look, I'll think about it," I pulled her close and kissed her forehead. "Thanks," she wiped her tears and I chuckled. "Don't cry, Elena." "I'm sorry, I can't help it. What if they're dead or worse..."

"Then we take care of it, that's our job. That's my job, got it?"