3.2 || Plane of Trials

It turned out that the worst that could happen had nothing to do with Boomer.

Josh walked beside Mara, hoping the hand holding hers wasn't as sweatyas his other one. Sure, she had told him not to worry, but he'd beenawoken early in the morning for a team meeting. According to her, Xander claimed it wouldn't require him to change hisplans later that day. Still, his nerves refusedto settle.

They reached the staircase that led to Xander's office. Even after all the time that had passed, Josh flashed back to another trip, one taken at night, where he sneaked behind his brother and an intruding Shadow Knight.

You should bring Eli back with you, Boomer chimed in. It's been forever since I've got to play with him.

First off, you still need to rest. Second, they're coming to visit in a few weeks. I've already told you that my parents want to wait until they can come along since missions can pull me away at any moment, Josh said as he and Mara climbed the steps.

Boomer sighed. I'm tired of resting.

It's been less than twenty-four hours.

I don't understand your point.

Josh snickered, and Mara paused, hand on the door handle, brow raised. He gestured at his head. Eyes lighting with understanding, she nodded and smiled.

"Well, let's see what this is all about," she said, though Josh had an odd feeling she had her own ideas about why they were there.

Mara opened the door, and they stepped in. Voices cut off at their entry. Xander sat behind his desk, hands steepled in front of him, brows furrowed together. Joel stood beside the desk with his palms pressed on the wood and expression stormy. It appeared they'd walked in on an argument.

Cale, like usual, leaned against the wall. It was the first time Josh had seen Cale awake since the mission. He scanned the other boy, searching for signs that anything in Cale had changed. If anything, he just looked tired. Tousled hair, pale skin, unfocused stare. Whatever the argument had been, he hadn't seen it important enough to pay attention. At their entry, he blinked a few times before looking over. He nodded in greeting.

Kaitlyn sat on the couch in the seat nearest to Cale. She kept her body tucked in, which made no sense given the other person on the couch, Mateo, was giving her plenty of space. She turned their way, but the moment she saw Josh, she jerked her head in the opposite direction and stared pointedly out the open balcony.

Josh forced back a snort and looked toward the leaders of the different Soul-Bound groups. He caught Joel sending them a seething glare before he shifted back to Xander.

"As I was saying, you claim to need your forces dealing with the breaches, so her going with Cale makes the most sense."

Her? Josh glanced at Mara, but she squinted at the two Soul-Bound leaders. Nothing in her face made it seem she was the one Joel would mean.

"And as you have reminded me time and time again when I mention how strained our members are, Sages are not fighters," Xander replied through clenched teeth.

Oh. Oh scales, Boomer said. They want to send Cale to Vindizar.

To where?

But before Boomer could answer, Mara hummed, drawing Josh's attention. The previous curiosity in her eyes had turned to certainty. With a nod to herself, she guided Josh to stand by Mateo. He turned back to them and smiled.

"Welcome to the fun," he whispered at the same time Joel began speaking again.

"We are not fighters. But Cale will be the one focusing on fighting. Whoever goes along will be there to help with any number of things. Perhaps she will need to engage in some combat, but training never hurt anyone. I simply wish to help avoid further straining our front lines by offering one of my Sages."