10.3 || Relic Dagger

Making a deal with a Sage sounded like it was no better than making a deal with a devil. Rage flared on Kaitlyn's face, and Josh hoped that she'd dismiss the proposal, but when she opened her mouth to speak, no words came out. Her expression morphed into one of confusion as her eyes glazed over.

"Give me a moment." She spoke to them, but it was obvious her focus was inward. "Don't go anywhere." With that, she moved a few feet away, her back to them.

That was weird. Josh shifted his weight, but the small movement did nothing to ease the tension growing in his muscles. He didn't like the secrecy Kaitlyn hoped to get by turning away, especially given their current situation. She could be telling them all about Eytia and Hannah, and he had no way to know. He could knock her out maybe, but that'd alert whoever was on the other side of the communication. Besides, knocking her out sounded far too cold.

The bond surged before he could think further on that. It dragged him inward, and the cavern around him turned into the Sanctum forest. Xander stood before him—no, not him. This was Boomer's mind. He'd been summoned there by his dragon.

Xander needed you again, Boomer explained, voice weary.

Josh could understand why. Xander's normally tanned skin stood out as deathly pale. It almost looked like he'd caught a really bad sickness that had drained him of color and joy.

"Josh, have you completed your mission?" Xander asked.

Yes, Josh said. Boomer's own anxious emotions mixed with his own, dragging Josh's words. Xander, what's wrong?

"We need you back at the Sanctuary immediately." The Paladin leader took a deep breath, as if he had to solidify that very role to deliver the next bit of information. As it turned out, Josh should have braced himself as well.

"Cale and Mara have gone missing."

The world tilted around Josh. Missing. Cale and Mara were missing. He shook his head even though Xander had no way of seeing him.

There must be some sort of mistake. They can't have just gone missing. They were in that one Trial place, weren't they?

Josh is right, Boomer said. Ezraim or Kidron would have to know where they are.

Unless the Sages had somehow sabotaged things. Josh gritted his teeth. Would they have sunken so low as to do that? He couldn't figure out what they would have gained, but his suspicions prickled, and he was very aware of Kaitlyn in the same cavern as him.

Xander's face pinched. "Please return as quickly as you can. We will brief you along with the others here then."

Josh wanted to demand answers then and there, but he beat back the argument. Yes, sir. I will return shortly. Despite his determination to wait, he didn't pull back from Boomer's mind until Xander had walked out of sight.

"—is alright," Eytia said soothingly. Hannah watched him, nibbling her lower lip, but she released it when she noticed him staring back.

Josh had seen people conversing with their dragons so often that he forgot how it could look to outsiders. He winced.

"Were you informed as well?" Kaitlyn stood near them once again. She tried to hide it, but worry shone in her eyes.

Josh almost felt guilty for suspecting her. Considering who her father was and all the lurking she did, he easily forgot that she probably had a crush on Cale.