Chapter 1: The awakening

"I'll do anything just please don't ..."

Gunshots*

I woke up covered in my own sweat, my hands are trembling, I grab my chest tightly as I grasp for a breath. My eyes burn as a teardrop slides down my cheeks.

"It's ok, it's just a dream, everything is going to be fine Vivian", I comfort myself, but it is barely enough.

My weak arms stretch to get hold of the last sleeping pill on the side table, shaking hands pour water in a glass, I gulp it down in a second along with the pill and fall asleep.

As the sun starts to shine ...

Doorbell rings*
The sound of the ring wakes me up, lids of my eyes open, I cover my face with my bare palms to block the rays of the sun hitting my face.

"Coming", I shout as I get out of bed and head towards the doorway.

As I head towards the doorway, my feet touch the Vodka bottles scattered on the floor, my brain refuses to notice the mess of last night so I continue to walk ahead.

I open the door to see a tall black figure. My eyes, still blurry and watery due to the sleep thus I rub them vigorously to be able to see clearly.

It's the new neighbors- African American couple.
" Good morning Vivian, my husband and I moved in next door. Here I made these cookies for you, I hope you like them", Diane speaks calmingly despite the noticeable hickey on her neck.

You just know they have recently gotten married when in the midst of night the loud moaning and banging against the walls keep you awake. Sometimes I get a bit curious and stick my ears to the walls, you see I haven't been railed since last year, by the janitor!... it wasn't anything special, just two lads desperate to get laid.

"Oh your welcome", I stutter and speak, making a complete fool of myself with the poor quality of words I've just spoken.
" I'm so sorry, I meant to say thank you", I repeat myself hoping they didn't hear my previous line.

I shut the door to see the house in a complete mess, Vodka and Champagne bottles scattered everywhere, shattered glasses, bloodstains on the kitchen floor, and a striped Jaguar print mini dress lying on my newly bought leather couch.

"What happened last night? ", I ask myself hoping a memory would strike my very tiny brain.

After evaluating the mess I need to clean, I turn my head and stop to stare at myself in the mirror, unicorn pajamas with an Afro hairstyle I wore!

"There goes the first impression, there it goes down the drain, they must be thinking I'm crazy. WHY CANT MY LIFE JUST BE NORMAL!!!", the echoes of my scream are heard in every room of my apartment, I slam my hand in agony on the kitchen countertop while tears run down once again.

Takes a deep breath*

My now shaken hands wipe the falling tears and then I get changed into a more formal attire ( a tight waistcoat, white shirt underneath with black pants to match).

A notification comes on my phone:
***
Attention: interview with the law enforcement agency at 3 o'clock.
***

My heart races as I look at my wristwatch and see the hand on forty, only twenty minutes till three!! "You can't be late Vivian, just not for this", I warn myself as I shut the door closing the mess in my house behind me.

The impatient me, press the lift buttons constantly, how idiotic you might think I am despite knowing the fact that the lift won't come faster than usual.

"Pardon me", I mumble as I walk in a hurry bumping into the building residents. Everyone stares into my soul as I sprint across the reception all the way to the parking lot.

You can hear my car keys jingle as I am running towards my car. I open the car door and throw my purse into the front seat, I have forgotten to close the zips and so everything is emptied from my purse onto the dirty car mat. 

"I can make it, there's still hope for my future", the words of wisdom I tell myself.

I try to get the engine started but it won't cooperate with me today.

My eyes spot the cause, my fist firms up as I see the petrol meter on the very low end.

"Fuck, insufficient petrol-"

Authors note: I hope you enjoyed the first chapter, hold onto your seats as the chapters to come will reveal the answers to your questions.  I will try to update every other day but I cannot promise. Please do comment, like, and share. I love you all !!