Chapter 2: The perfect day

Despite my life's harshness on me, I somehow managed to make it to the agency on time.

The distinct smell of coffee filled the room,
It was eerily quiet not even the sound of the printer was heard. The only sound I could hear were the whispers of the two men sitting for an interview and my rapid heartbeat. The men were pieces of shit, I could hear them across the room talking about my ass, it just sucks to live in a man-dominating world.

Man 1, " just look at that juicy ass, I mean if she gets the job then she's definitely doing the late-night shifts."
They both laugh*

I could still hear them talk and giggle, I couldn't burst now hence I had to take it all in and ignore it.

I bit my lips as I impatiently waited to be called, plucked every layer of skin there was until I could taste my own blood, it tasted like iron to be specific.

"Vivian Clark, you have been called to the Chief's office, straight ahead and onto your left", the blonde, skinny and tall receptionist with emerald eyes said.

Before barging into the Chief's office, I quickly put on scarlet red lipstick to cover my bruised lips. Took a deep breath and then opened the door.
That man's cologne was extremely strong, I could feel my nose tingle almost like I wanted to sneeze.

The Chief sat on the main chair with two other armed men next to him. After all, anyone could enter and kill the guy right?!

"Good morning sir, I'm Vivian Clark"

"Good afternoon to you as well miss Vivian", the chief corrected me. I felt ashamed at that exact moment.

****
The Chief also known as David J.S, last names too big and complicated, he's Head of the Law Enforcement Agency in New York, bald, almost in his mid-50s, looks Spanish at first but is actually an Italian, five children, currently divorced, worth more than my total bank account, lives in a duplex in the hub of N.Y.C
That's all the information I could find about him online.
****

"Oh I see an ex undercover agent working on the Heathrow case, shows here that you left mid-case, may I ask the constraint?"

"My mother was sick so I had to leave in an emergency," a lie I told bluntly.

"Why didn't you join back?"

" I- I actually "
I turned pale, I could feel the coffee come up my throat, I couldn't tell him about my scar, I just couldn't. At that moment my eyes started watering, the head started recalling the horror but I had to hold on, I sucked it all in, hold backed my tears, and stayed silent.

"I suppose it's confidential. You have quite an impressive resume young women, the agency is in need of people like you"

Did I get the job, did I not get it, I didn't know what the words of the Chief indicated.

"Before we can call you for your first day, we just need to confirm these details"

"Do tell me if there are any changes to be made, height: 5'4, weight: 60 pounds but could be reduced a bit, nationality: American (white), eye color: blue, date of birth: 23/11/1994, age: 26, that's about all"

"Accurate sir", I murmured without intention.

"Congratulations then, you have acquired the job, we will be expecting you on time, tomorrow sharp 8. Any questions?"

"No sir, thank you, sir, may I leave?"

"Yes you may"

My mood was enlightened, cheeks red as the rose, the little spark that was left inside of me had now awakened. After a year of solidarity, there was finally hope to be happy.

I jumped and skipped in joy until I reached home.

The rest of the day was spent cleaning and scrubbing the floors, rubbing and spraying the countertops, and turning the dumpster house into Vivian's house of happiness.

The tiring day ended, as I tucked myself in bed after some home-cooked dinner, turned off the night lamp, kissed my mom's frame on my bedside table, and kept the alarm for 7 am.

"Till now this was the most perfect day."

Just as I was about to close my eyes, it hit me, I remembered what had happened last night...