1 | vanilla

"Are you crazy?" A deep, yet angry voice shouts from the dark gray car that is literally five inches away from my body. He opens his car door and glared at me like I took his chocolate cake, ate it, and wiped the leftover crumbs all over his face. My eyes scan his face and realize how he isn't bad-looking at all. I also have to say that this is the worst time to think about how handsome he is.

Now, that you think about it. I actually did pretty well in my SATs back in high school.

"Did the SATs forget to test you on the fact that you have to look left and right before crossing a road?" I snap out of my thoughts from the car owner's voice. I really didn't mean to say that, I swear. I mentally slap myself three times for presenting my thoughts and SATs at the worst time possible.

"No." After mentioning my genius of an answer, maybe I really was crazy. I planned to apologize and end this whole thing, but I couldn't form any words to come out of my mouth at that moment except for "no".

I should've ran straight to the taxi instead of getting into this situation. But, no.

He utters a few curse words under his breath. "Is she even serious right now?" he asks himself, but indirectly to me, in disbelief. "Can you just get off the lane?" he exclaims exasperatedly.

When his words told me to get off the lane, my eyes almost fell out of their sockets at the huge traffic forming from the small scene that I made. My feet felt glued onto the concrete surface restricting me from moving. And my soul almost left my body when I felt a hand circle around my wrist pulling me to the taxi that started all of this. I pick up my head as my eyes come into contact with a pair of friendly gray eyes. I have no idea who he is, but he mouths the words "I'm sorry" to me. I stare at him in confusion as his figure saunters back to the passenger side of the car that almost hit me.

"Dude, let's go!" Mr. Gray Eyes shouts, pulling the driver back into the car because he was too busy shooting daggers at me with his eyes. Apparently he was in the car the whole time watching the whole show play out, and guided me to the taxi when I didn't move. The car drove away, and my mind still can't register what just happened.

A loud noise causes me to flinch in my place. I turn to see that it was the taxi I should've gone straight into five minutes ago.

*  * *

My mom had two dreams: 1) meet a guy who would love me unconditionally and 2) open a cupcake shop.

After 27 years, I finally granted one of her wishes. And no, I didn't meet the guy of my dreams. Instead, I endured five years of stress learning about the basic building blocks of business management, graduated with a degree that made my mom cry from tears of happiness, and opened up a little, but proud, place for my mom's dreams to come true.

The chimes ring as I sashay into the cozy, small building that I have been stepping into for the past six months. The smell of butter and chocolate illuminated the room from every corner, and my lips break into a huge smile at the two people in front of me. "Morning, Emma!"

"Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Evans!" I smile at the husband and wife who have been diligently working at this place for the past six months. Finding the right people for our cupcake shop is a little difficult, but my mom and I were glad to find these people. They are not only the coolest people ever even at that age, but they are great in managing the business here when my mom and I get too busy. They're also like my second parents. I walk towards the counter and sit on one of the chairs.