A Warm Embrace and a Rushed Goodbye

You woke up. You could tell it was light out before opening your eyes. You instinctively reached out to your bedside table--but your hand hit nothing, then something soft. Confused, you opened your eyes. You were sleeping on an unfamiliar couch, an empty bowl on the coffee table in front of you. 

You tried to move, but there was something around your waist that held you back. You were frightened for a moment, before you remembered yesterday. 

Wilbur!

You must've fallen asleep at Wilbur's house. He was still asleep behind you, hugging your waist tightly. You figured there wasn't much harm in staying here just a few minutes longer. Besides, it was comfy and warm in his embrace. 

The phone on the table buzzed. It was your phone. You reached out to check it. Wilbur stirred, still keeping his arms tightly wrapped around you. 

"Noo, don't go yet..." he said sleepily. You continued to reach out for your phone, barely grabbing it before Wilbur pulled you back into him. 

It was a text from Olivia, along with several from earlier that I had missed. 

Livvy :D

Y/N wake up! You have the lunch shift today!

Y/N? Are you still at Wilbur's?

Y/N!

Wake up!

You're going to be late!

You glanced at the time, 11:53. Oh no... you thought. The lunch shift starts at noon. You knew you wouldn't be able to drive there in time, plus you needed to brush your hair and get yourself to look presentable before coming in. 

You shifted around and shook Wilbur awake, "Wilbur, we have to go! I have the lunch shift at work!" 

Wilbur's eyes shot open and he released you from his grip so you could get up. He understood immediately and got up from the couch himself. You rushed to the bathroom and quickly brushed your teeth and hair. Wilbur grabbed his keys and put on his shoes while he was waiting. 

You both dashed to Wilbur's car. It was still wet outside from yesterday's rain but the morning's sun was drying it. You would've appreciated it if it weren't for being late. 

Wilbur started the car and drove off. You sighed, texting Olivia. 

You

Oh no I overslept! Wilbur's driving me there now.

"Thanks for driving me, and thanks for letting me spend the night too," you said, looking over at Wilbur. 

"Of course Y/N! I'm sorry we overslept. I just hope we get there on time," he replied, glancing at you before turning his eyes back to the road. 

You checked the time. 12:01. "Well, I had to be there by noon. There's no way we could've made it," you said. 

"Oh. I'm sorry. You should've told me, I could've woken us up earlier!"

"Yeah, I just forgot it was today. I just hope my boss isn't too mad." You sniffled a bit, knowing your boss would be mad at you. 

Wilbur noticed you were sad and placed a reassuring hand on your shoulder. "What's wrong, Y/N?" 

"I know my boss is going to be mad at me. He's never liked me. I'm scared of what he's going to do. He's never been afraid of yelling at his employees in front of customers." You imagined the humiliation, tearing up a bit. You usually worked hard and were able to avoid his wrath, but any little mistake would set him off. You shivered. 

Wilbur moved his hand down to hold yours, squeezing it until your frown gave way into a shy smile. "Hey, it'll be okay. If anything goes wrong, I'll be right here."

You squeezed his hand back, "Thank you."

He hummed in response. You were just pulling up to the restaurant. As Wilbur stopped the car, you pulled him into a hug before opening the door and rushing inside the restaurant. It wasn't too busy this early in the morning, so there would be no sneaking in quietly. Your boss instantly saw you and gave you his signature threatening glare. Olivia wouldn't be bartending this early, so you had nowhere else to look but down at your own feet. 

You had barely gotten two feet inside the door before your boss had stomped up to you. "Why are you late" he growled. You shivered in fear, not being able to respond. 

"ANSWER ME!" he roared. You gulped, thinking of the best way to respond. 

"I-I was shut in yesterday because of t-the rain a-and I couldn't get a ride u-until n-n-now..." I stuttered out. 

The boss glared down at you. He pointed a finger at you. "I'm not going to give you many more chances. If you make ONE MORE mistake, you'll be FIRED!" he shouted, poking your forehead with his finger to emphasize his points. 

You felt a surge of rage. Fired? Over being late once? How dare he! You gathered up all your courage, and said back, in the most confident tone you could muster, "That won't matter, because I QUIT!" 

The boss was surprised by your sudden outburst. Another waiter, who had heard this go down, set down his tray on an empty table and walked up behind the boss. 

"Yeah, we've had enough of you treating us this way! I quit too!" he barked out, taking off his apron and throwing it on the ground. 

You saw three more employees coming out of the kitchen. They had clearly heard it, too. 

"I quit too!"

"We're done being yelled at!"

"Goodbye forever!" 

They all made a point of throwing their aprons on the ground. You led the way out the door, none of you giving the boss a second glance. He'd just lost five employees, and several customers were walking out too. 

You all high-fived and went to your respective cars. You thought you'd have to walk home, but to your surprise, Wilbur's car was parked in the lot. You saw him sitting in the car, waiting. For you. 

You tapped on his window and he opened the door, standing up in front of you. "How was it?" he asked softly. 

At that point, your adrenaline rush had worn off, and you were starting to realize the gravity of the decision you'd just made. You had quit your job. You now had no source of income. You'd have to file for unemployment...Olivia couldn't pay your rent by herself, and she'll probably quit soon too...you broke down, a few tears falling from your eyes. 

Wilbur immediately pulled you into a hug. "I quit my job..." you squeaked out against his shoulder. He rubbed a hand up and down your back as a means of comfort. You wrapped your arms around him and buried your face in his chest, some of your tears leaving a wet spot on his shirt. 

You stood like that for a minute, until Wilbur stroked a hand through your hair and simply said, "It's gonna be okay." 

You nodded a bit, still crying and clutching to him. He pulled back a bit to look you in the eyes, "Do you want me to drive you home?"

You nodded. "Could you stay with us for a bit? I don't want to be alone..." you squeaked out through the tears.  

He smiled, "of course." He squeezed you one last time before you stepped around to the passenger side. 

You never heard him, but Wilbur whispered, softly, 

"Anything for you."

Woo another chapter! Hope you guys liked it! Any feedback is much appreciated. 

Word count: 1242