Chapter Eight

Now that the sun had gone down, the Crimson Sailboat Inn and Tavern was crawling with customers. Fugitives who had refused to show their face in daylight bought round after round under the cover of darkness. Only ambient lantern light illuminated the scars and the grins across their faces.

Alana had been to the tavern before. No one else knew about it, of course. How would the public react if a guard was spotted on this side of town? She had to admit it was a fun place to spend an evening. Sometimes, if you were lucky, you could see dinner and a show. Brawls certainly broke out often enough.

Indigo seemed right at home among the chaos. They inhaled deeply as they stepped inside, a gold bell over the door jingling. Alana grimaced. The sharp tang of alcohol in the air was almost overwhelming, but she had been around worse. She felt slightly more confident when she walked in with Indigo than she had when she walked in by herself, and that extra spark put a new spring in her step.

They both attempted to cross the tavern to get to the bar in the back. Tables sat in random places around the room with chairs askew and overturned in the walkways. Men and women stared at them as they walked by, either with intimidation or flirtatious admiration.

One of the patrons glanced past the girl leaning over his table and locked his eyes onto Alana. He stood up, taking a tankard of beer with him. He blocked their path and stared Alana down.

"Move," she growled, trying to step to the side. He moved with her. "Can't you see we've got places to be?"

The man grabbed a fistful of her cloak in his burly fist. His eyes were bloodshot and his breath reeked, but Alana didn't want to pull a weapon yet. "Queen's guard, eh?" He glared at the badge on her chest. "We don't get your type around here often."

"I'm sure you don't. They can't handle as much." Looking the man straight in the eye, Alana said, "You don't want to know what I had to do to get this far tonight. If you were smart, you wouldn't test me."

He tossed her cloak back and Alana stumbled back with it. Her hand went to her hip for her dagger, but the man noticed and drew one of his own. His blade was jagged and shaped in a scythe-like curve, and it seemed much older and more worn. She didn't flinch as he raised it in her direction. In fact, Alana had to fight the urge to roll her eyes.

"Ralphie!" A stern female voice called from across the bar. "What did I say about having weapons at my tavern?"

The man, Ralphie, lowered his blade and looked back over his shoulder. "Sorry, Etta. I know. I promise I won't do it again."

"You'd best not if you want me to rent you a room anytime soon." A woman stepped up beside them, setting a tray of liquor down on the table beside them. Choppy dirty blonde waves dusted bare shoulders. Her white shirt was very low-cut, Alana noticed, and a red corset accentuated her curves. Her black skirt dusted the floor as she kicked an ankle up and leaned on Ralphie's shoulder. "Next time you bring a weapon, you'll have to leave immediately, understood?"

"Yes, Cap'n." With one last glare at Alana and Indigo, Ralphie skulked back into the shadows of the tavern, sliding into a booth and grumbling to himself.

The woman's gold eyes followed his every move until he sat down. When she was satisfied, she turned back to them. "Sorry, guys. Let me get you a drink on the house." Then, for a moment, she paused. She leaned forward, narrowing her eyes at Indigo. Suddenly, she laughed and a bright smile crossed her face. "Blue, is that you?"

Indigo held out their arms. "In the flesh, Captain." She crashed into them, hugging them tightly. A corner of Alana's mouth turned up at the gesture of affection. "Good to see you again, Etta."