Chapter Twelve

A/N: I've attached some music that helped me write this chapter, so if you want to play it and keep it in mind as you read, I highly encourage it! :)

Karis stood atop the balcony overlooking the ballroom. People had already started to trickle in, anxious for the evening festivities to begin. This was the biggest night in every five-year period, and they didn't want to miss a second.

If he was being honest, Karis would have much rather preferred to be wearing his guard uniform instead of actually dressing up for the event. The black jacket on top of his white shirt and black vest restricted his movement too much, and there wasn't a lot of room to keep a dagger. However, for their mission, the queen suggested that he and Fallon be in the crowd, so they had little say in the matter.

Fallon appeared at his side. Her shimmering deep purple gown sparkled in the light and her hair was pulled back into a curled updo. She touched his arm, then whispered, "The guards around the Scepter are ready. The room is completely closed off. No one enters or leaves without them knowing about it."

"Good," Karis responded. His eyes kept scanning the crowd, searching for a particular face.

"Have you seen them?" She joined his search when he shook his head. "It's okay. They'll be here. Alana said they'd come, right?"

He nodded. He didn't want to take his focus off of the crowd by speaking to her. All of his attention was on the dance floor and the door, waiting for even a glimpse of her face. After that, he wasn't going to take his eyes off of her.

As much as he wanted to stay there, Fallon grabbed his arm and tried to drag him away. "What are you doing? We need to stay here," he said.

"The queen is about to arrive, and she said she wanted to meet with us when she came in, remember?" Karis looked at her like she was crazy. Fallon groaned. "You were probably too busy thinking about Alana, as usual. Come on. It'll only take a second."

They went over to the top of the balcony steps. A small dais had been set up for everyone to see with a throne in the center for the queen. She would come onto the dance floor later, but it was traditional for the king or queen to oversee everything at first.

The three children entered first, each dressed in extravagant ensembles covered in jewels and finery. Princess Harsha stood on the left side of the throne and rested her hand on the sword at her hip. She made eye contact with Alana and Karis, smiled, then watched her siblings come in. Prince Victor immediately rushed onto the dance floor and found a few people to mingle with. He started talking to a girl with fiery red hair and swept her into the center of a waltz, grinning ear to ear.

Princess Lévian, of course, went straight to Fallon. Her dress was an olive-beige shade with crystals decorating the bodice, but she had woven small dark purple flowers into her hair that matched Fallon's dress. They shared a kiss, then turned back toward the door.

Queen Marjorie and Lady Leela arrived arm in arm. Everyone in the ballroom turned to look at them as they entered. Lady Leela, in a deep blue gown decorated with sapphires, escorted the queen to her throne. The deep red color of their kingdom flowed behind their beloved ruler, rippling with every step. In accordance with the theme of the Scepter, rubies adorned Queen Marjorie's necklace, earrings, and crown. When she sat down and Lady Leela took her place at her side, the people returned to their fun and the queen turned to Fallon and Karis.

"General Griffin. General Morrigan." She lowered her voice so only they could hear. "You both understand your assignment tonight?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," they said in unison.

"The Scepter is guarded to the extent you suggested. Harsha is in charge of that. When they bring the Scepter out to me, I want you both by my side. Until then, do what you need to do. Stay alert." Queen Marjorie leaned forward and grinned. "But also enjoy yourselves, okay?"